Brian May sound - May Queen - BMTB?

Started by SuperGeo, June 01, 2005, 06:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperGeo

Hi

I was wondering about building something to get closer to his sound. I saw the two projects online but then I was very confused about which one of them I should build.

I thought about building these two in the same box with a switch to change between them. But came to me if they would be too near-sounding to put them in the same box.

Is it a nice thing to put them in the same box?

Is there another effect that would help me to get closer to BrianMay sound?

Thank you

Killer Queen

The BMTB is a Treble booster that would give you a BrianMay-ish sound when put through a cranked tube amp. (Ideally, an AC30.)

The May Queen gives you the sound of a Treble Booster through a cranked tube amp (an AC30.)

So if you wan't Brian May sound in a box, you want the May Queen.

Unless you happen to have an AC30 or similar tube amp, in which case you might want to try out the BMTB (Or RangemasterTB, which Brian May used in the Queen/QueenII/Sheer Heart Attack era)

So, essentially Brian May=TrebleBoost+AC30

BMTB=TrebleBoost

May Queen=Trebleboost+AC30.

BMTB is only part of the BM sound, the May Queen strives to be the whole of the BM sound, so the May Queen is probably want.

B Tremblay

B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

SuperGeo

thanks for the repplies

continuing with my project, I´ll put brian may treble booster and the English Channel simulation after it.  Perhaps put the may queen inside too with some switching will make the box more versatile.
will that make me get closer to May`s sound? POst your opinions

EDIT:  if I saturate the English Channel Simulation with the BMTB, will sound poor or it`s a nice thing to try?

thank you

Khas Evets

I'm not familiar with the English Channel, but the Brian May Treble Boost works best with real tubes. I've used it with a Roland Jazz Chorus, and it sounded awful (or just trebly).

Gnome

He's treble boosters and all he's systems were built by Pete Cornish from 1972 to 1992. He has written an article about it, and you can even buy from him the actual boost he used, together with an english sixpence that was what he used as a plektrum :P

http://www.petecornish.co.uk/queen.html

It's really cool to read through...

spudulike

Glen Fryer pedals are a (slightly) cheaper alternative and , and this subject has been covered before (try a search  :wink: )

http://www.trebleboost.com/