Anyone knows the first guitar FX/pedal ever made?

Started by Steben, June 02, 2005, 02:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steben

I guess the tremolo was the first effect ever made...
and the maestro fuzz the first pedal/box?
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

spudulike

Marcus Van Hammer designed and produced "Ye Mistyryous Boxe of Noyse" in 1642, but Lord Stephen of Gilesworth predated it with "Yon Bonny Mistresses of the Flaynge". Sadly it used True Bus Pass switching and was largely ignored until the invention of electricity.

dr

george

Quote from: spudulikeMarcus Van Hammer designed and produced "Ye Mistyryous Boxe of Noyse" in 1642, but Lord Stephen of Gilesworth predated it with "Yon Bonny Mistresses of the Flaynge". Sadly it used True Bus Pass switching and was largely ignored until the invention of electricity.

of course none of the above could have happened until Cliff Richard invented the Blues ...

David

Quote from: george
Quote from: spudulikeMarcus Van Hammer designed and produced "Ye Mistyryous Boxe of Noyse" in 1642, but Lord Stephen of Gilesworth predated it with "Yon Bonny Mistresses of the Flaynge". Sadly it used True Bus Pass switching and was largely ignored until the invention of electricity.

of course none of the above could have happened until Cliff Richard invented the Blues ...

Us Yanks believe that the blues were invented by Sir Richard the Little of Cliff.   8)

brett

It just SO like the americans to believe that the blues was invented in america, not on English slave ships working west africa.

(Any bites???)
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

brett

Forget to mention effects...
Early analogue effects must include the metal slide..1920s??
Way before tremolos, etc.
Early electronic effects would include the busted speaker fuzz effects. (There seems to be considerable debate about who first broke/cut a speaker cone, and who first recorded the sound).
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

octafish

I think the slide goes back further than the 20's. The diddley bow was traditionally played with a pocket knife or bottle. Those things must go back to before the american civil war.
Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

JimRayden

No, before that, in 1059 when a monk, called Dunlopinus, made a wooden box called "Fuscianus Facies". The box would lie next to a lute player and put out a constant buzzing noise that was produced by a drunk rattler snake.

----------
Jimbo

petemoore

A speaker swinging and spinning from speaker wires fastened to the frame [cause 'dude didn't have a cabinet yet]...undocumented and scrapped...probably because of lack of bass repsonse.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

David

Quote from: brettIt just SO like the americans to believe that the blues was invented in america, not on English slave ships working west africa.

(Any bites???)

Brett, I knew that.  I was just kidding.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I suppose that thing American Indians did in westerns when I was a kid, fluttering their hand in front of their mouth to go woowoowoowoo would count as a mechanical autowah/trem, so might the hat in front of the trumpet.
But I suspect teh first 'modern style' thing in a box, was a simple preamp, later accidentally becoming a fuzz. It is my belief that the first fuzz in a box was the resulot of a design/construction error. If someone was TRYING to make a fuzz, that isn't the way they would have done it, in my opinion.
After all, most of the most radical inventions were accidental (like teflon).

petemoore

Maybe the frist fuzz was intended to be a compressor [which a Fuzz does]...looking at a small voltage signal, and a small signal diode...maybe having overvoltage problems [don't we all?]...stick a diode in there...that'll chop any signal peaks off...
 ...cave man used to 'attenuate' cave woman output and voicing...with the 'ol hand over the mouth routine.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

casey

i think the first fuzz happened in a mixing console with the input overloaded.....(kind of like "revolution" by the beatles....or at least the same concept of how they got the fuzz on that song).

then from there someone ?.... put the idea of overloading a circuit in a box.
Casey Campbell

vanhansen

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)After all, most of the most radical inventions were accidental (like teflon).

And WD-40.  :D
Erik

LoudGreg

8)
I think it was the cave man Crugg who actually started to use different caves & valleys for all the reverb sounds he was chasing.

But Jimmy Page still insists that the backwards reverb effect was all his. Crugg's not around anymore to dispute this fact. There's a lot of controversy regarding his death though. Many different stories: T-Rex, Tar-pit, jealous lover (he was a ladies man as well), Lighting.......
Guitar player not a tech............

Doug_H

First pedal ever made?

Probably one of these:

Doug

:wink:

Connoisseur of Distortion

simple. the first effect happened on pre-historic earth. the primordial parts bin was affected by atmospheric mixtures of tin and lead, and by some freak chance they all stuck together into an analogue delay. true story.

bioroids

I read somewhere that the fuzz box was invented to give the guitar the sound of the saxophone (who was the lead instrument back then).

Luck

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

Cabezahead

Quote from: vanhansen
Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)After all, most of the most radical inventions were accidental (like teflon).

And WD-40.  :D

And chocolate chip cookies...