OT: Total effect failure

Started by seanm, June 03, 2005, 12:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanm

I tried the following setup at practice last night (we practice in the drummers basement):

Bass -> Effector 13 Torn's Peaker -> Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive -> SansAmp BDDI -> iAMP 500.

Three pedals from three manufactures. The Torn's Peaker and the SansAmp had new batteries. Worked great at home into my mixer. At practice plugged everything in. Tested all the footswitches, yup LEDs light up. Turn on the amp ...... no sound. :?

I tried different cables. I tried each effect one at a time. I tried the pedals multiple times during practice in case it was temperature releated. No sound. The Torn's and the TS are true bypass. They worked when bypassed. And the Torn's made a loud pop when the footswitch was pressed, but no sound.

Came back home, plug everything in exactly the same way with the same cables, works perfectly :shock:

I had tried the SansAmp before at practice and it had failed, but I had chalked that up to a weak battery. I have successfully used an OBD3, a Phat-Hed and a Bassdriver there at various times in the past.

Help!

bentium

was the volume of the guitar open? :P

seanm

Quote from: bentiumwas the volume of the guitar open? :P
Yup, wide open.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

My money is on the footswitch being intermittent, don't be fooled by the pop.

seanm

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)My money is on the footswitch being intermittent, don't be fooled by the pop.
All three pedals failed individually. I doubt all three pedals would fail at once. The Torn's Peaker and the Sparkle Drive are very new. The SansAmp is older.

I really am at a loss since I they work here :( I don't even know what to look for.

There is a lot of RF in the drummers basement. Some pedals, such as the Radial Bassbone, work as good single channel radios there. But I don't see how that would effect say a tube screamer except to make it noisey.

tasty

This may sound retarded but maybe a wire fell off inside your guitar..hence no sound?  I'm not sure if you mentioned that you plugged direct in?  Hmmmm...

seanm

Quote from: tastyThis may sound retarded but maybe a wire fell off inside your guitar..hence no sound?  I'm not sure if you mentioned that you plugged direct in?  Hmmmm...
Yes, I played direct to the amp all night. I am as sure as I can be that it was not the bass, amp or cords.

For example, plug into Sparkle drive. Start playing, everything works. With minimal movement (just my foot), hit the footswitch to turn on effect. Sound stops. Hit the footswitch and everything works. This happened with all three effects individually, except of course no sound at all from the SansAmp.

KORGULL

Could you have plugged in the cables wrong? If your cables look alike (or maybe you had a few drinks or something) it is easy to plug into the input when you should've plugged into the output.
When in bypass mode, the dry guitar signal will still pass through reverse connected pedals to the amp if they are true bypass pedals.
:?: Seems like this has to be some kind of user error :?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Maybe a break in a cable, but in the SHIELD, not the signal wire?