replacment pot on a arion sad-1? pics!

Started by corbs, June 04, 2005, 09:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corbs

sorry if this is the wrong place for this peeps.

i bought this delay second hand and for a long time just thought it didn't have a good sound. that was until i found the repeat pot was just ropy - and when you press it down it works (and sounds great!).

you can see someone has messed with it before - filling it with some kind of lubricant.

the pots say M100KΩC 01 l (the others say the same but 02 03 and the 03 having a H instead of a l). do you think i could get one roughly the same size?

here are some higher res images of the internals (for those that like that kinda thing)

side
back
top1
top2

smallbearelec

Hi--

Unfortunately, this is likely to be tough. "C" indicates that these are 100K reverse audio, which is not a taper I carry in mini-pots. Worse, these are clearly an OEM item that was made-to-order for this board. Possibly someone on the Forum knows of another mail-order source or has seen this value in a surplus catalog.

Regards
Steve Daniels

bentium

see if you have room enough:

buy a normal pot solder it with wires to the board, and the pot goes on the chassis

it'll be a thight fit

octafish

You could rehouse it in a matal enclosure. I have a rocktek delay that I think is based on the arions. If the plastic case or pots ever broke I would re-house it in a second. A great pedal for its price.
Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

Paul Marossy

When I had my Arion SAD-1 apart, I noticed that those pots are virtually impossible to replace with a direct replacement. The best thing you'll be able to do is to find a mini-pot of some sort and try to rig it up so that it fits in there. As mentioned, it will be a tight squeeze.  :(

Fret Wire

Quote from: Paul MarossyWhen I had my Arion SAD-1 apart, I noticed that those pots are virtually impossible to replace with a direct replacement. The best thing you'll be able to do is to find a mini-pot of some sort and try to rig it up so that it fits in there. As mentioned, it will be a tight squeeze.  :(

Same here. When I had mine apart for pics and specs, I was checking for a similar replacement pot. Look at your back pic. Those plastic buttons appear to hold the pots down. God knows what would happen if you tried to remove those. Like I said in an old post on the SAD-1, the pots are more like high quality trimmers. You could try cleaning the pot. First, remove the plastic spacer that goes over the pot shafts. Then wipe off as much of the lube as possible, use a Q-tip if needed. Cover the area surrounding the pot with torn up napkins or paper towels. Then spray some tuner cleaner in the pot's access hole. Holding the board pot side down will help to keep the cleaner off everything else. Keep flushing until the old lube appears to be out. Use a can of compressed air to dry. Nothing to lose if it doesn't work. :)
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Paul Marossy

Yeah, I think I would try to clean the pot first as well. Who knows, it might work?  8)

corbs

thanks for the response ppl - i only noticed there were replies today

Quote from: Fret WireThose plastic buttons appear to hold the pots down. God knows what would happen if you tried to remove those.

they aren't actually connected to the pots as far as i can see. i have no idea why they are there.

Quote from: Fret WireLike I said in an old post on the SAD-1, the pots are more like high quality trimmers.

Quote from: smallbearelec"C" indicates that these are 100K reverse audio, which is not a taper I carry in mini-pots.

are these available in any sized pot? the solution i'm leaning to is the rehousing of it. thats if cleaning just doesn't work (don't think it's likely - it's in bad shape).

Paul Marossy

Quotethey aren't actually connected to the pots as far as i can see. i have no idea why they are there.

I think that plastic thing is intended to keep the pots from moving around during assembly/use of the pedal.

corbs

Quote from: Paul Marossy
Quotethey aren't actually connected to the pots as far as i can see. i have no idea why they are there.

I think that plastic thing is intended to keep the pots from moving around during assembly/use of the pedal.

sorry i meant the plastic circles on the back of the pcp? i think thats what Fret Wire was talking about being a nightmare :) ...

but yeah - the pedal has now stopped working as it should entirely. so i'm def looking for a pot replacment for re-housing...

Paul Marossy

Oh, those round thingies? Hmm... I dunno, I never really noticed them. Do they spin when you turn the pot shaft?

corbs

nope :D - my guess is they are the result of a requirement in manufacturing  - they just look to be plugging a hole.

Paul Marossy

Quotemy guess is they are the result of a requirement in manufacturing - they just look to be plugging a hole.

Probably so.  8)

Dan N

If you are still around, I just found my delay junkbox and popped that pot off an old pcb. You can have it if you still want it. PM me.

Another option - some crappy arion of the same era may cough up a useful pot. Things with rate pots (chorus, flange) often use the reverse taper. Some distortion tone pots are also reverse taper.