Simple question about Smallbear transistors

Started by masonator, June 04, 2005, 07:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masonator

Hi, (sorry for posting this in both forums, but I need a quick answer as I have a gig tommorow and would love to be able to use my fuzz!)

I got my Ge matched fuzz transistors from smallbear and they came with a paper saying:

"These devices were tested with the following resistance values in the Fuzz Face portion of the circuit

R2 39k
R3 150K
R4 470 Ohms
R5 3.9k
R6 1k
R7 Jumpered
R12 Jumpered"

Can anyone tell me what this means I have to do to the following schematic to make it work :http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/fuzzface/fftech1.gif. I tried to find an answer on the smallbear site, but it all got a bit technical for me to comprehend.

Ive made it exactly as described in the schematic (hoping that the paper with resistor values wouldnt matter too much), but I get a very strange heavily gated sound which is more annoying than fuzzy so im guessing that those resistor values are important afterall.

Any help would be much appreciated. -Nick

george

sub 470 for 330 or 470
sub 3.9K for 8.2K
sub 39K for 33K
sub 150K for 100K

spudulike

These values come from the BearFace schematic at the smallbear site, specifically the FF portion at bottom left. Translate these values onto the basic FF schem. Your tranny isnt biassed correctly if its "blatty". If you do a search you'll find loads of info on FF biassing.

If you check the schematic youll see the components are also specified as "per device". You might get lucky with those straight subs but you need to tinker with the values to suit the transistors you have.

masonator

Thanks guys, thats fantastic!

george: Thanks for explaining the substitutions for R2-R5, but do i need to worry about the "R6 1k"?

spudulike: "Blatty" is the PERFECT word for what it sounds like! Ill do a search on biassing and hopefully ill be home and dry.

Thanks

masonator

Right,

Having read as much as I could find/take on biasing, I have come to the conclusion that if i make the substitutions that george has suggested, then my fuzz will be all biased up and ready to go.

Am i right, or have a missed the point?

gaussmarkov

Quote from: masonatorRight,

Having read as much as I could find/take on biasing, I have come to the conclusion that if i make the substitutions that george has suggested, then my fuzz will be all biased up and ready to go.

Am i right, or have a missed the point?
Well, I'm not sure.  Steve is just telling you what circuit he tested the transistors in.  I don't think that he biased his circuit for your transistors.  He was just making sure that they were "matched" which refers (I think) to their respective Hfe values.

Nevertheless, I would be confident using his resistor values.  If you have them why not start there?   :)

masonator

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

I got it working just in time, and it sounds fantastic. I think im hooked on this DIY thing and im already planning to mod my circuit to include bias control and other things.

Ill maybe post a picture and sound clips if I can tear myself away from the soldering iron for long enough.

Nick