TS9 output buffer - components order?

Started by fake, June 05, 2005, 05:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fake

Hi there,

I'm currently worjking on a home made TS9/TS808.
I have questions regarding the output buffer of the pedal.

1) I would like to know whether interchanging R4 and C5 on the schematic below would affect something?

Indeed it would the be easier to me to wire the 2PDT switch that switch from TS9 to TS808. Here is an example I found:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/SUPTUBE.GIF

2) Also, if I replace C5 by 47µF, how does that impact the sound?

Many thanks.

fake

Melanhead

I don't think it matters, but I'm only going on a response I from a similar question I had .... you may wanna double check.

The 47uf would definitely add more bass, but it might be too much ... you'd have to try it.

fake

Finally I think I'll do it this way:

It "should" work out properly...

cd

seanm

The order dosen't matter.

Changing the cap to 47uF will probably not make a difference. It depends on what is after it, but 10uF is already a pretty safe value.

fake

I thought the order did matter since it was making a RC filter (R14 + C5)...

mojotron

Quote from: fakeI thought the order did matter since it was making a RC filter (R14 + C5)...
If you mean R4.. Nope... in a series circuit there is nowhere for the electrons to go except through each component to get to the other side.

However if you mean R14 - yes, a cap would shunt the signal to ground - and you would get no/little sound if the cap was anything other than in the pF range....

If you mean - "does R4/C5 order have any effect related to R14?" - nope... C5 and R4 are part of the same impedance device.... it's like you treat them as a single component until they are no longer a series RC circuit....

fake

Thanks for your answer.

I thought I read somewhere that R4 was seen as a load to the Follower and therefore it had some importance in the functioning of it.
Therefore, placing a capacitor in between the follower and its "load" resistor dosen't affect, right?

Thanks again.

mojotron

Quote from: fakeThanks for your answer.

I thought I read somewhere that R4 was seen as a load to the Follower and therefore it had some importance in the functioning of it.
Therefore, placing a capacitor in between the follower and its "load" resistor dosen't affect, right?

Thanks again.

Actually, R4 and C5 are one -single - load and R14 is another (resistive)and R13 is another (resistive) load. If you added a parallel load between R4 and C5 - they would work independantly, but while in series, R4 and C5 are a single load.  

C5 is the only capasitive load (unless your talking about GHz/VHF/UHF) among these components at the output stage, so there's a bit more to the story, but in general, for audio signals, it would have no effect to swap the order of R4 and C5..

If anyone does do this TS808 <-> TS9 switching please let me know what your thoughts are on the relitive sound of each... would be interesting.

fake

Alrighty mojotron, that should simplify my circuitry then.
I'll therefore do the TS9<->TS808 switch and let you know about my firt impression.
I'm also adding a 2 PDT toggle switch to have the choice between 2 different diode clipping feedback loop.
I'll let you know also.

Take care.