More Unusual Stompbox Finishes

Started by Paul Marossy, June 05, 2005, 08:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

Continuing on in my experiments with fabric covered enclosures, I had an afternoon to kill and a newer homeless GCB-95 CryBaby PCB and sloped front aluminum enclosure lying around, so I thought I would box it up and use it as a sort of filter with fixed settings. Here's some pictures:

Here is the PCB mounted in the bottom half

Another view of the PCB mounting

Here is looking into the top half thru the battery holder opening

Here is the back, I used this paisley material from an old shirt I had

Here is the back with the battery holder in place

Here is the how it looks when it's all together

I did this one the same way as my previous one - glued the fabric to the enclosure and then covered it with lacquer sanding sealer.  The control on the left is the wah pot and the one on the right is a four position switch that changes the sweep cap value. 8)

toneman

Farthest  Out, Man!
:)
Nice way 2 recycle those 70s shirts!
:)
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

petemoore

Ain't it cool when an old shirt, a PCB, and a little afternoon funwork can produce a piece of art like that ?
 A fixed setting wah on a switch is a nice thing to have around...box looks Too Kool, I love Paisley...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Mark Hammer

Of course, now you have to learn all those Jorma Kaukonen licks!  :D

This sure beats using old shirts to polish the car.

Paul Marossy

QuoteThis sure beats using old shirts to polish the car.

LOL  :lol:

QuoteNice way 2 recycle those 70s shirts!

Actually, it's a shirt I used to wear about 10 years ago. It's been in my closet for a long time, and it was worn so much that it was starting to fray in places. So I decided to get rid of it, but I stuck it in my other closet until I could find something to do with it. Now it lives again!  :wink:

Anyhow, as usual, the lacquer sanding sealer darkened up the fabric some. The original blue color is more like a periwinkle color.  8)

jmusser

That's kind of weird that you would mention Jorma. His "Fur Peace Ranch" is only about 15 miles from my house! I have always wanted to go to his guitar camp, but the $750.00 always seems to have too much of an "ouch factor" for me to go. He has G.E. Smith there pretty often. He and his wife, go down and eat at the Restaurant where my wife is a hostess, a couple times a month. Why he chose this God forsaken place to live is beyond me! :shock:
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

LoKi6922

VERY cool! like an old bandana or something...

i love it!

darkseid

thats pretty kewl....     hmmm,  my brother has a shirt in that design :D

sean k

Thats a good idea Bro!,I was thinking,vaguely,about using the same kinda approach to decorate some fibreglass enclosures.Get them to push  some fabric into the first gelcoat before they started in with the matt.Might come out all scrunchy though if bent into corners...hmm.

Anyways,you want me to send you some scraps of pacific island prints.Really bright colours and seabreezes...?
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

Paul Marossy

QuoteVERY cool! like an old bandana or something...

That's a good idea, bandanas can oftentimes provide some great backgrounds.  :idea:

Quoteyou want me to send you some scraps of pacific island prints.Really bright colours and seabreezes...?

Sure. Send me a PM.  8)

mongo

Cool!

Hey, is that a custom made enclosure?? I love BIG stompbox boxes!! that's my kind of enclosure! :wink:

It's  kinda frustrating for me to stuff every pedal I made into a Hammond BB...

I love when I do I show and people look at  the big boxes I play with and go:

"hey, what the hell is that???"  :D

Paul Marossy

QuoteHey, is that a custom made enclosure?? I love BIG stompbox boxes!! that's my kind of enclosure!

Naw, it's just something I bought at Fry's a while ago. I was going to put a tube based overdrive in it, but it really didn't have enough room in it. It's about 4" wide, 2" tall and 6" deep.  8)

mongo

any links to see If I can get some boxes like that???

Thanx!!!

Paul Marossy

Sorry mongo, but I don't have any links specific to the box I used. I don't even know who manufactured it. I thought it was LMB Heeger, but I'm not positive. All I can tell you is that Fry's Electronics carries the boxes.

Hammond does make some sloped front enclosures but they don't look as nice as this one.

ezanker

Sweet box!

The fashion world is probably relieved to have that shirt out of circulation :lol:  :twisted:  :wink:

Erik
P.S. Just kidding about your fashion :)

Paul Marossy

QuoteP.S. Just kidding about your fashion

:wink:

I'm going to be finishing the graphics on it tonight. I'll post the pictures of it when it's done.

Paul Marossy

I always wondered where the term "paisley" came from!  8)

Paul Marossy

OK, here it is with the graphics applied

I probably could have done a little better job, but I can live with it as is.  8)

LoKi6922

very psychedelic. groovy man!

sweet site about the history of paisley too... :lol: