Started by Atk, June 06, 2005, 04:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atk

This schematics is ok?

What can I use for coil?

Ola

Bernardduur

Nice topic.

I once followed a discussion about someone who builded a sustainer pickup, but it went a bit over my head. So I hope you can get the help needed and build these nice gadgets. I WANT ONE!
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

transient

For information on winding sustainer coils, visit the "sustainer ideas" thread at the Project Guitar forum:
http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showforum=16

It's a huge thread, but reading the last 5-10 pages would probably be enough.

From my experience, i made a coil using a small screw, winding 30-50 turns of 0.3mm wire on it, then attached a small magnet to the end of the screw, worked fine.

e

Gnome

Pardon my ignorance:

Who of the coils are which? (input/output?)

And, who of them do you place where when using it? Are both near the strings or one on the other side of the box etc...

transient

Well, mine wasn't exactly an ebow. I didn't wind a pickup coil, instead used the guitar signal to feed the circuit (ROG Little Gem). The coil i wound was the output (sustainer) coil. It has to be kept far away from the guitar pickup that feeds it, to prevent feedback. So it works best when held over the strings around the 24th fret, and the bridge pickup should to be selected while using it.

Follow the link to that sustainer thread, there you'll find almost everything you need.

e

Paul Marossy

On boy, here's another ebow thread.  :wink:

That thread at projectguitar.com is about the development of an modular aftermarket type onboard guitar sustainer thingie. There is talk about the ebow in there, but I am not sure that everything applies to making an ebow. I quit following it after about page 15 or so.

Anyhow, I have heard of only one semi-successful attempt at building a DIY version of an ebow. This is one case where I would have to recommend that you just buy the real thing!  8)

troubledtom

it's not the course of wisdom to copy this device unless you have more $$
 then time. buy it fot 75 buckks amd be glad you did!
   peace ,         -tom :wink:

Paul Marossy

Quotebuy it for 75 bucks and be glad you did!

My thoughts exactly.  :wink:

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Yeah, I've looked inside a dead one.
I'm all for DIY but, this is a stretch.................. too far.
For me, anyway!

col

Pardon my ignorance but waht does an E-Bow do? I have seen rave reviews, seen it mentioned in relation to specific tracks etc. but nowhere has there been an explanation of what it actually does. I presume it is some kind of sustainer deveice.
Col

chrishopkins

The Ebow generates a magnetic field which causes the string to be in constant movement and thus getting a "feedback sustain" effect.

col

Thanks! It sounds similar to the Fernades sustainer pick up, I read a review where a perticular string was in constant vibration due to this. I understand now what they mean after listening to some of the songs that one has reportedly been used on.
I have seen a similar effect when using a semi-acoustic throgh a guitar amp. One particular sting would vibrate constantly but when you moved around the room the particular string changed and I assumed this was due to standing waves being generated in the room which co-incided with the natural frequency of the open strings.

Col
Col