Soldering Irons - FYI

Started by rutledj, June 06, 2005, 07:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spudulike

Quote from: Ge_WhizFYI, I have one of those Maplin irons and I think it's crap. The temperature regulation is terrible - one moment it won't melt the solder, the next it's killing pots. The handle overheats uncomfortably too. Awful.

Ever thought you might have a duff iron ?

Lets see, I got one, there are two in the shop, one in the studio and one in my next door neighbour's garage. Thats 5. They're all ok, and have been for some time. maybe you got a faulty one - take yours back and maybe try another ?

chrishopkins

I've got one of those 50w Maplin jobbies and it works just fine for me.  For once Maplin are selling something at a reasonable price!

James P

I've used the same iron to put my Tweed Deluxe together and it worked great. It was a bit inconsistent with the temp and a couple of times I had to alter the temperature from the preious time, but there was always enough to play with.

I have got my eye on a decent Antex though - sometime in the future!!!

James P
If i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer...

nelson

Quote from: petemoorepete your method sounds archaic And WAY too complex a bit overkill. I would love to see a pic of your workspace.
  The iron part is self disclosure, it does work good though.
  Not to yes it is on it but not having to clamp and unclamp the board, have a clamp saves time and space I'm pretty sure.
 I'm saying my iron used to hit stuff like the floor, and it doesn't.
 I'm just suggesting, not recommending anyone try it.
 >>...the best way, of course, in all cases is the way that works best for you.
 Since now I'm defending the system, like I care, from being dubbed 'archaic', I've tried both ways, for above stated reasons which may not agree with yours, I prefer to have that burning hot iron mounted, the board cannot stay mounted like the iron and still get populated as easily, the AC Supply cord to the iron stays put too.
 This is pro method, don't try this at home.  :wink:

I didnt mean it to sound like an attack. If it works for you and its what you are used too obviously its a good thing, it just sounded crazy the way you described your method/workspace.

Sorry if I offended you.

Keep stompin.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X