A bit OT, but... peavey classic 50 (amp)...Marshall circuit?

Started by wampcat1, June 06, 2005, 04:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wampcat1

Sorry for the ot post...wasn't sure where to post it, and I couldn't find my answer at ampage. I picked up a peavey classic 50...some say it is similar to a vox (I don't hear that at all!), If anything, it's almost a bit marshall-ish..jcm800 or the like. Is it a common circuit? Any info about it, or mods?

Thanks,
Brian

vanhansen

Got a schematic?  The preamp section will tell a lot.  I've noticed that lots of non-Fender, Marshall or Vox amps having taken those designs and changed things here and there to give their own sound.
Erik

wampcat1

Quote from: vanhansenGot a schematic?  The preamp section will tell a lot.  I've noticed that lots of non-Fender, Marshall or Vox amps having taken those designs and changed things here and there to give their own sound.

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/peavey/c50schem.pdf

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about amps to know if they are *basically* the same as some other amp, but I'm assuming that it's kind of like most guitar pedals (a handful of circuits modified to create other pedals).

Thanks,
Brian

vanhansen

Wow that's a busy schematic.  At first glance it looks closer to the Vox schematics I've seen but it could be a combination of both Marshall and Vox.  I don't have a definite answer.
Erik

BD13UK

I have a mate who has the PV Classic 50 head complete with a little fan built in and I've used it a few times but I would have to say that like yourself I don't think it sounds like an AC30, I dont really know of any amps that capture the AC sound that accurately, If I remember correctly it's EL84/6BQ5 valves and it sure runs pretty hot like an AC30 also it doesn't have that wonderful AC30 Vibrato/Tremolo which is so unique sounding compared to most other amps, over the years I've had quite a few AC30's and I can't think of any amps that sound quite like them and believe me I've tried many, My only gripe about the AC30 was those terrible rubber handles as when the amp got really hot it practically stayed on the floor and the handles just stretched right up in the air.
Brian

wampcat1

Quote from: BD13UKI have a mate who has the PV Classic 50 head complete with a little fan built in and I've used it a few times but I would have to say that like yourself I don't think it sounds like an AC30, I dont really know of any amps that capture the AC sound that accurately, If I remember correctly it's EL84/6BQ5 valves and it sure runs pretty hot like an AC30 also it doesn't have that wonderful AC30 Vibrato/Tremolo which is so unique sounding compared to most other amps, over the years I've had quite a few AC30's and I can't think of any amps that sound quite like them and believe me I've tried many, My only gripe about the AC30 was those terrible rubber handles as when the amp got really hot it practically stayed on the floor and the handles just stretched right up in the air.

My Laney VC30 has a great voxey vibe to it, not exact,  but the feel and response is there...

Any other amp guru's out there? :)

MartyMart

Brian, I have a Classic 30 and I agree that the sound is nothing like a
"Vox" I'm fairly sure that apart from size/power and a little "voicing" that
the "50" is the same deal.
The "styling" of the '30 gives you a "Fender" look, but the sound is not
as bright, nor is it very similar to a Fender combo.
The '30 sounds very nice, records well and I only have praise for these
Peavey combo's, so unless you "hate" the sound for some reason, or
its somehow damaged or just needs a new set of tubes, I wouldn't touch
the circuitry at all !! :D

Regards,
Marty.

NOTE: I have not built anything that runs at more than 18 volts, so apart
from my "ears" and a fair amount of recording experience - what do I know anyway !!  :lol:
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

BD13UK

I'm in full agreement with what you said Marty re: PV Classic 30 NOT sounding that Fender like, as mentioned the Laney VC 30 is indeed a very nice sounding amp and is probably closer than most to Vox-like tones. I also keep seeing posts (Not here I might add!!) from people asking whats the best Fenderish sounding/type amp to buy etc, then there are follow up posts suggesting all manner of expensive boutique amps and , IMHO you cant get a Marshall to sound like a Fender or a Fender to sound like a Vox etc etc etc and  I think the question pretty well answers itself, I'm not suggesting that boutique amps aren't valid just why buy something thats usually a lot more expensive when the actual thing can be bought for considerably less in most cases then your almost guaranteed the sound.
Brian

Melanhead

yup ... no definite answer here either ... Starts off Voxy with the smaller coupling cap then kinda goes into la la land ...

I'd have to sit down with it but I'm guessing it's a hybrid of Vox, Fender and Marshall ... all based on the 50's Fenders :D

I love the classic 50 amps .... to me, they've always sounded more "Van Halen" then the 5150 head ...

Crank it up Brian !

AL

I agree with Marty. I wouldn't mod one of those either. Those are good sounding amps. I'd leave it alone and work with it.  Besides, that schematic is ridiculous - maybe they were seeing how much they could cram into a chassis.

Silverface Fenders are still found for pretty cheap as are 70's traynors and both of those are really good starting points for mods - not to mention very easy to get to the parts.

AL

AL

Just did a quick Google search and http://www.blueguitar.org/ has a good bit of info on Peavey Classics - mainly Classic 30's but there are a few articles on modding the Classic 50.

AL

wampcat1

Thanks guys -- I appreciate it! :)

To be honest, I do like the raw sound of it, I just wanted to try my hand at modifying an amp for a change... :lol:  :lol:

You're right, though - When cranked, the tones are pretty decent, though I'd like to get some more mids from it. Maybe installing greenbacks would be a better option, though. :)

Thanks,
Brian

WorkBench

The other guitarist in my band has one.  I modded it for him.  As in the bluguitar page, I "fenderized" the input, and changed the tone stack to Twin specs per my liking.  I also increased the voltage that the preamp tubes are getting across them by changing out a resistor, this is also found on that blueguitar page.  I replaced the stock speakers with Weber Chicago 12's and the amp sounds great!
Chris
All good things in all good time

wampcat1

Quote from: WorkBenchThe other guitarist in my band has one.  I modded it for him.  As in the bluguitar page, I "fenderized" the input, and changed the tone stack to Twin specs per my liking.  I also increased the voltage that the preamp tubes are getting across them by changing out a resistor, this is also found on that blueguitar page.  I replaced the stock speakers with Weber Chicago 12's and the amp sounds great!
Chris

how do you feel the amp has changed? Does it sound more like a _____?

Thanks,
Brian

WorkBench

maybe a bit more like a twin, but still maintains the depth it had before.  Not that a twin doesn't have depth, it's just that the classic 50 has its own depth if ya' know what I'm saying.
Chris
All good things in all good time

sean k

I looked into AC 30's ages ago and the thing that really struck me was how the vibrato/trem circuit went into one half of the phase inverter and the normal/bright channels went into the other half.Their mixing going on there and even a load on the phase inverter even when your not using it and I got to thinking that that phase inverter wiring and the vibrato/trem hanging off it was the crux of the AC30 sound.Also the bright normal channels are kinda weird and not much like evrything else which just seems to be fender circuits with different cathode resistors and the odd cathode follower thrown in to drive tone controls or fx loops.Before and at the Phase inverter is what the AC 30 is about...possibly.
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/