Stripboard or PCB?

Started by chrishopkins, June 07, 2005, 07:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrishopkins

Hi,

I'm about to start working on my first project, YAFF!  

I was just wondering if I am better off using stripboard or PCB?  I'm forming the opinion that it would be easier to prototype with stripboard and make the transition to PCB when I start building IC based pedals.

On a different tangent is there anywhere in the UK that supplies the Hammond 1590BB or an equivilant?

petemoore

For a FF, I'd just use what I have....which is Perf, or get some Veroboard...I'm certain there must be a layout in the gallery for a FF.
 By the  time a PCB could be made I think I could have a FF board populated.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

James P

Croeso Chris,

You can use stripboard for IC's as well although it's trickier to get the tracks leading to the correct parts easily. I've been using stripboard for ages and it seems to have taken off on this forum. Unless you're making PCB's for production stripboard does the job very well. PCB's are great for mass production but making small amounts of them 1-3 a real pain IMHO.

Most electronics companies such as Farnell, RS, Rapid, ESR all sell these boxes although they aren't always made by hammond. They will do exactly the same job though.

hwyl

James :D
If i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer...

chrishopkins

Ddiolch yn fawr!

Thanks for the tips.  I've been looking at the Rapid site and will definately be using them to get the components.  

I'm also going to mount the transistors in TO-18 sockets so I can experiment.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

If it's a new design, then stripboard for sure.
Because no mortal ever got the design AND the PCB right, first off.

Unless you have so many components that it won't fit in the box stripboarded, then strip it is, for me. And even if it IS too big, I use a bigger box. :wink:

chrishopkins

Thanks

I've gone and ordered all the parts I need from Rapid.  I also ordered a breadboard.  I thought it would be best to get it right on breadboard first before I unleash my soldering skills on stripboard.