MORE OCD mystery...maybe unraveled?

Started by wampcat1, June 08, 2005, 05:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wampcat1

Ok, so the title is a bit 'hype-ish'...just saw this post on musictoyz, don't know how true it is:
http://musictoyz.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/7056040191/m/6181025082

Hello.. Anyone here have a schematic or/and a big picture showing the eletronics components of the OCD ? Or if you know who can send me informations... Thanks

It's a RAT opamp driving mosfets as diodes.

amz-fx

Quote from: wampcat1It's a RAT opamp driving mosfets as diodes.
Not exactly...

Want to see mosfets used as diodes?  -->  http://www.muzique.com/schem/shaka5.htm

regards, Jack

wampcat1

Quote from: amz-fx
Quote from: wampcat1It's a RAT opamp driving mosfets as diodes.
Not exactly...

Want to see mosfets used as diodes?  -->  http://www.muzique.com/schem/shaka5.htm

regards, Jack

Thanks Jack -- I don't have an idea, as I personally don't have an OCD, but I see alot of guys on here asking about the circuit (me included! :) )

Take care,
Brian

amz-fx

It does not have the dual R-C network on the inverting input like the Rat.  :)

regards, Jack

wampcat1

Quote from: amz-fxIt does not have the dual R-C network on the inverting input like the Rat.  :)

regards, Jack

So it does or does not use the mosfets for clipping?
I guess my real question: If I wanted to develop a mod to convert a rat to near ocd specs, what all would be involved?

Thanks,
Brian

cd

Quote from: wampcat1
Quote from: amz-fxIt does not have the dual R-C network on the inverting input like the Rat.  :)

regards, Jack

I guess my real question: If I wanted to develop a mod to convert a rat to near ocd specs, what all would be involved?

Buying the 3D schematic for $165.

wampcat1

Quote from: cd

regards, Jack

Thanks for the brilliant insight!
:roll:

cd

regards, Jack

Well DUH you're made your intentions pretty clear.  Don't try to make it out to be some "mystery" you want to solve for the good of the DIY community, when it's obvious from your own posts above that:

(a) you want to cash in/ride the coattails of someone else's successful product by copying/cloning, which would put you in the same boat as Fulltone, except:
(b) you don't even want to put in the time, effort, $, or work to do the copying/cloning yourself.  Either that, or you don't know how.  Going by your other posts, I'm leaning towards the latter.

I dislike Fulltone for their un-originality as much as the next guy, but you buddy, take the cake.  Why don't you take some of the $ you've made off the work of others and put it to good use?

wampcat1

regards, Jack

Well DUH you're made your intentions pretty clear.  Don't try to make it out to be some "mystery" you want to solve for the good of the DIY community, when it's obvious from your own posts above that:

(a) you want to cash in/ride the coattails of someone else's successful product by copying/cloning, which would put you in the same boat as Fulltone, except:
(b) you don't even want to put in the time, effort, $, or work to do the copying/cloning yourself.  Either that, or you don't know how.  Going by your other posts, I'm leaning towards the latter.

I dislike Fulltone for their un-originality as much as the next guy, but you buddy, take the cake.  Why don't you take some of the $ you've made off the work of others and put it to good use?

CD, as always, you don't have anything nice to say. I'm not wasting my time replying to your post other than to say I never once stated any motive other than wanting to find a mod to make the rat more like the OCD. Since I haven't bought one yet, I asked Jack about it.

You should think before you spout off - you are entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong you are yet fail to realize. I don't know what you have against me personally but I wish you would confront it rather than sneer from behind the keyboard.

Take care,
Brian

optimus_prime_1985

CD........  Here we  go again. Why so negative? Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions about this guys motives. It sounds like he is curious as to how the circuit works and if there is a mod to an existing pedal that will sound like the OCD. He does not sound like he is looking for a free ride. Your comments tend to sound like personal attacks and this is why people are leaving the forum. This is the first time I have been back in about a month and what do I see? More of the same that has kept me away. Aron has said that personal attacks will result in suspension. So for the good of the forum........ try to be nice.

wampcat1

Quote from: optimus_prime_1985CD........  Here we  go again. Why so negative? Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions about this guys motives. It sounds like he is curious as to how the circuit works and if there is a mod to an existing pedal that will sound like the OCD. He does not sound like he is looking for a free ride. Your comments tend to sound like personal attacks and this is why people are leaving the forum. This is the first time I have been back in about a month and what do I see? More of the same that has kept me away. Aron has said that personal attacks will result in suspension. So for the good of the forum........ try to be nice.

Thanks Optimus...

I'll be brutally honest. I had to edit my post about 5 times because I felt I was 'stooping to his level'. If I was honestly looking for a free ride, I wouldn't GIVE my simple mods to the forumites here who ask me for them -- I LOVE this forum, it's my personal favorite (besides my own ;) ), and I ALWAYS am pushing traffic here -- every one of my books has links to this website and thanks various members who have contributed.

CD is actually a throwback from harmony central effects forum, I believe, so that may explain part of it  :lol:

Honestly - if this guy treats people this way face to face, he must not have many offline friends either, as I was very offended by the accusations. I thought I was very open about my intentions -- if the OCD is a derivative of a rat circuit, can simple mods be done to approximately get a similar tone? I can buy one - that's not the problem, but it is no wonder some of the best forumites have gotten sick of attitudes such as CD. This isn't his first sarcastic post either.

<rant over>
:lol:

Take care,
Brian

mojotron

wampcat1 - thanks for editing your post !! :D We all appriciate it.

I'll never understand personal attacks here, with so many great pedals to build why would anyone take the time to piss into the wind like that??

I've bought and reverse engineered several fulltone pedals, then sold them on ebay for more than I bought them for to people in europe - which was about enough to cover the parts for my copy. So, I kind of ended up with a free set of fulltone pedals, but reverse engineering stuff is a lot of work! When I do the OCD I'll PM you what I find out - but this is going to be a busy summer so I don't know if I'll get to it in the near term - but I will... I want to practice my de-gooping.  :D

wampcat1

Quote from: mojotronwampcat1 - thanks for editing your post !! :D We all appriciate it.

I'll never understand personal attacks here, with so many great pedals to build why would anyone take the time to piss into the wind like that??

I've bought and reverse engineered several fulltone pedals, then sold them on ebay for more than I bought them for to people in europe - which was about enough to cover the parts for my copy. So, I kind of ended up with a free set of fulltone pedals, but reverse engineering stuff is a lot of work! When I do the OCD I'll PM you what I find out - but this is going to be a busy summer so I don't know if I'll get to it in the near term - but I will... I want to practice my de-gooping.  :D

Thanks Mojotron, and I really appreciate it -- if there is anything I can do for you, by all means please let me know. :)

Take care,
Brian

CS Jones

I think I get cd's point...
let's see now -
a guy who sells "mods" comes onto a DIY site and asks other people to provide a mod for him to ostensibly convert a Rat into an OCD.
QuoteI guess my real question: If I wanted to develop a mod to convert a rat to near ocd specs, what all would be involved?

Not only does he want the ready made mod but apparently needs a
Quotea schematic or/and a big picture showing the eletronics components of the OCD
too...just to confirm that the mod provider has gotten it right I suppose.

cd's conclusion, though maybe hard to take, seems reasonable.

Jack gave you the keys...
ask a question (or give an answer) about how "the dual R-C network on the inverting input" would make a difference electronically on this or any other similar circuit.  Or analyze the circuit for us which Jack posted from his site...mosfets as clipping diodes. Apply this analysis of yours to how you plan to come up with a mod (you're the mod man after all... I know this because the spam in your signature tells me so) which can turn the Rat into the mighty OCD.  

Do this and you've contributed to this site.
See what kind of answer you get from cd under those terms. You'll be amazed.

That's not quite what you did though, is it?

You've simply recreated the "Rape of the Mongoose" type thread or the "?" thread (were Doug H was berated by a couple of guys who had the nerve to say "sure we're building and selling the circuits you've provided without crediting you. Don't blame us if you're a lousy marketer"...
threads which lead many very respected real builders/designers (e.g. Z Vex and Ton etc.) to consider this site to have become nothing more than "just a den of thieves"

Quotehe must not have many offline friends either
Wrong again.
Hang in there Dave.

Clay Jones

wampcat1

Quote from: CS JonesI think I get cd's point...
let's see now -
a guy who sells "mods" comes onto a DIY site and asks other people to provide a mod for him to ostensibly convert a Rat into an OCD.
QuoteI guess my real question: If I wanted to develop a mod to convert a rat to near ocd specs, what all would be involved?

Not only does he want the ready made mod but apparently needs a
Quotea schematic or/and a big picture showing the eletronics components of the OCD
too...just to confirm that the mod provider has gotten it right I suppose.

cd's conclusion, though maybe hard to take, seems reasonable.

Jack gave you the keys...
ask a question (or give an answer) about how "the dual R-C network on the inverting input" would make a difference electronically on this or any other similar circuit.  Or analyze the circuit for us which Jack posted from his site...mosfets as clipping diodes. Apply this analysis of yours to how you plan to come up with a mod (you're the mod man after all... I know this because the spam in your signature tells me so) which can turn the Rat into the mighty OCD.  

Do this and you've contributed to this site.
See what kind of answer you get from cd under those terms. You'll be amazed.

That's not quite what you did though, is it?

You've simply recreated the "Rape of the Mongoose" type thread or the "?" thread (were Doug H was berated by a couple of guys who had the nerve to say "sure we're building and selling the circuits you've provided without crediting you. Don't blame us if you're a lousy marketer"...
threads which lead many very respected real builders/designers (e.g. Z Vex and Ton etc.) to consider this site to have become nothing more than "just a den of thieves"

Quotehe must not have many offline friends either
Wrong again.
Hang in there Dave.

Clay Jones

You're reading WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY too much into it. Reread the first post. I was simply pointing out a thread at musictoyz where another pedal modder said that the ocd was basically a rat. I posted it here because if you do a search for ocd, everyone keeps asking what circuit it is.

I'm curious as well.

I do *not* specifically want a ready made mod -- although when forum members pm me or help me with a mod, they DO get total credit with it. You are a bit misinformed.  :lol:

If you did a search of my posts, you would see that I've contributed several things -- among them the often asked boss cs-3 mod, mt-2 mods, hell -- free stuff all the time when pm'd about it all the time.

Also, I had nothing to do w/ doug or anyone else, so please don't use me as a scapegoat.

I'm glad you like Dave - maybe you can talk to him and tell him to chill out a bit. It's not just this thread, its EVERY thread he posts in...

Let me add...
I understand totally what Jack is talking about -- I didn't ask what he meant, only if that was all. Why? Because this is a forum about DIY stuff, and more folks than just me want to know. Would I sell it? Yes, I would include it with my diy kits, BUT I would give it away freely here, giving Jack complete credit. Don't make it a bigger deal than it really is -- someone at some point will want me to modify one and I'll get it then.

I should say I have no problem with HC, as I post there myself. My problem is with trouble makers like the ones at HC, which is why most of those forumites post here more often or used to...

Take care,
Brian

wampcat1

Actually, that came out a little harsh...I apologize CS if it seems a bit rude.

I'm actually saying all that with a smile... don't take this stuff too seriously bro - it's just guitar stuff. It's fun, and it's something to do (and what some of us make a living at) but lighten up a little. I realize you happen to really like Dave, and I'm sure when not behind a keyboard he's completely different, but on here he comes off very %^&*y, and not too likeable. Of course, I've had others say the same about me, so what do I know!?  :lol:

Take care,
Brian

puretube

(plz) Don`t judge CSJ by the number of his >current< posts...  :wink:  !

wampcat1

Quote from: puretube(plz) Don`t judge CSJ by the number of his >current< posts...  :wink:  !

true, true! sorry!  :oops:
Edited ;)

amz-fx