MORE OCD mystery...maybe unraveled?

Started by wampcat1, June 08, 2005, 05:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

Holy Mackerel, the ghost of Jeff Doucette just plain old refuses to die, doesn't it? :wink:

wampcat1

Quote from: Mark HammerHoly Mackerel, the ghost of Jeff Doucette just plain old refuses to die, doesn't it? :wink:

Who's that?  :?:

Mojah63

Try a search here and at ampage....

Something about a big muff I think ?
Paul

So many circuits, So little time

wampcat1

Quote from: Mark HammerHoly Mackerel, the ghost of Jeff Doucette just plain old refuses to die, doesn't it? :wink:

I did a search, and the best I can figure is that's a dig at me, correct?
:(

Doug_H

Hey, clones/mods/flaming stuff aside, if I can steer the thread back in a technical direction...

If you guys want to experiment with passive MOSFET clippers, check out Aron's Shaka 3 schematic. That is what, 5-6 yrs old now? [In old geezer voice:] Back in the day, most everyone who participated in this forum (wherever it was at the time) built a Shaka 3 at one point or another. It was almost a defacto "you must start here" kind of deal for forum participants.

Anyway, the passive MOSFET clipping does sound very good. IIRC, Aron got the idea (or some variation thereof) from John Greene.

Doug

wampcat1

Quote from: Doug_HHey, clones/mods/flaming stuff aside, if I can steer the thread back in a technical direction...

If you guys want to experiment with passive MOSFET clippers, check out Aron's Shaka 3 schematic. That is what, 5-6 yrs old now? [In old geezer voice:] Back in the day, most everyone who participated in this forum (wherever it was at the time) built a Shaka 3 at one point or another. It was almost a defacto "you must start here" kind of deal for forum participants.

Anyway, the passive MOSFET clipping does sound very good. IIRC, Aron got the idea (or some variation thereof) from John Green.

Doug

Thanks Doug,
I agree - the shaka circuit sounds wonderful!

cd

Holy mackerel that there's *maybe* two other people on this forum who'd actually get that remark :)

For anyone else: this was around '97 or '98 on the Ampage effects forum.  Before this forum, hell, even before Aron put anything up on the web, I'd imagine.  Doucette (AKA paradiddle77) pumped the collective brain of the forum for info on the best Big Muff Pi mods, then flipped everyone off with a "thanks suckers!" (best Johnny Rotten voice), proceeded to market "his" BMP mods, then used that as the base for "his" pedal, the Creamy Dreamer.

Ulterior motives become very clear when every post reads like a blatant shill (and I notice you got rid of your sig), which is clearly not in the spirit of the forum.  If you're going to contribute, contribute.  Which does not mean a once/twice a year "free" mod to make you look good while exploiting the forum for your own gain.

Mojah63

Quote from: Doug_HHey, clones/mods/flaming stuff aside, if I can steer the thread back in a technical direction...

Paul

So many circuits, So little time

WGTP

IIRC, the SB is using the diodes in the MOSFET's and not the actual MF.

There should be  a thread from a while back where R.G. explained how to actually use the MOSFET part.  Seemed like it ended up with a pretty high clipping threshold.

Check out the Mosferatu schematic for another application of MOSFET's used for clipping both in the feedback loop and to ground.  Cool design.   8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

wampcat1

Quote from: cd

Holy mackerel that there's *maybe* two other people on this forum who'd actually get that remark :)

For anyone else: this was around '97 or '98 on the Ampage effects forum.  Before this forum, hell, even before Aron put anything up on the web, I'd imagine.  Doucette (AKA paradiddle77) pumped the collective brain of the forum for info on the best Big Muff Pi mods, then flipped everyone off with a "thanks suckers!" (best Johnny Rotten voice), proceeded to market "his" BMP mods, then used that as the base for "his" pedal, the Creamy Dreamer.

Ulterior motives become very clear when every post reads like a blatant shill (and I notice you got rid of your sig), which is clearly not in the spirit of the forum.  If you're going to contribute, contribute.  Which does not mean a once/twice a year "free" mod to make you look good while exploiting the forum for your own gain.

Once again...watch me *ignore* your post.
For some reason, there isn't a signature function in my control panel...

If you will, please post your rules on how to become a legitimate member of this forum.

(Does anyone else see a bit of monomaniacism?)

Thanks,
Brian

spudulike

ITS ONLY A F***ING FUZZ BOX

Play nice  :wink:

wampcat1

Quote from: WGTPIIRC, the SB is using the diodes in the MOSFET's and not the actual MF.

There should be  a thread from a while back where R.G. explained how to actually use the MOSFET part.  Seemed like it ended up with a pretty high clipping threshold.

Check out the Mosferatu schematic for another application of MOSFET's used for clipping both in the feedback loop and to ground.  Cool design.   8)

The mosferatu is a *wonderful* pedal -- I gave one to Brent Mason several months ago...

Doug_H

Quote from: WGTPIIRC, the SB is using the diodes in the MOSFET's and not the actual MF.

Hey, I think you're right. I had forgotten about that....

It still sounds like a fairly gentle progression into distortion.

BTW, you can use JFETs too. They sound very good, if just a hair dark.

Doug

wampcat1

Hey CD,
You might consider this before posting:
"The toes you step on today could be connected to the @ss you kiss tomorrow"

That is said because you are building a few pedals...I'm in the middle of creating an Effects related magazine...

bw

nelson

Quote from: wampcat1Hey CD,

That is said because you are building a few pedals...I'm in the middle of creating an Effects related magazine...

bw

LOL :lol:

sorry, that is unbelievably arrogant, I hope its satire. :lol:

I fear its not.

I find these arguments rather tedious, but that bit of ego bolstering takes the biscuit.

nice work wampcat, you should write a sitcom.

I repeat, ITS JUST A F*CKING FUZZ BOX!

:roll:

Keep  stomping.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

wampcat1

Quote from: nelson
Quote from: wampcat1Hey CD,

bw

LOL :lol:

sorry, that is unbelievably arrogant, I hope its satire. :lol:

I fear its not.

I find these arguments rather tedious, but that bit of ego bolstering takes the biscuit.

nice work wampcat, you should write a sitcom.

I repeat, ITS JUST A F*CKING FUZZ BOX!

:roll:

Keep  stomping.

yes...:D
said very VERY much tongue in cheek!  :lol:
you are absolutely right -- I probably shouldn't 'ag' CD on... it is kinda funny though if you think about how seriously some folks take working on simple circuits... :lol:

wampcat1

all right...I have work to do, so I can't play anymore CD.
Have a great day,
Brian

steve b.

anyone know what the creamy dreamer mod was ????????/

KIDDINGGGGGGGGGGG ---HEY I HAD TO---IT'S BEEN LIKE 6 YEARS SINCE I HEARD THAT LAST  :lol: [/b]

Mark Hammer

Quote from: wampcat1

I did a search, and the best I can figure is that's a dig at me, correct?
:(

No, not a dig at you, so rest easy amigo.  Just more a comment on how touchy and twitchy people get when they believe - rightly or wrongly - that someone else is somehow fasttracked to buying a Ferrari and supermodel girlfriend based on mods they posted.  The Doucette episode was likely the first major episode emerging from a lengthy series of postings about modding a single pedal.  Many people felt the pedal sold for an unreasonable amount of money, and I suspect that irked them the most.  Many had visions of the full retail price being effectively robbed from them.  I don't say that to demean them or diss them, but I think a lot of the little business details which we have all come to understand since that time escaped a lot of folks.

Let me repeat it, though, as many times as it takes: no one gets rich from making or modding fuzzboxes in their basement/garage.  The best they will do is make a *reasonable* wage doing something they like to do.  If anyone resents the idea of anyone else taking an idea they posted here and making a couple of bucks from it, ask yourself first - before you do anything else - would you seriously consider trading your life for their standard of living.  If the answer is no, then why begrudge them a couple of sous?  Besides, THEY are the ones who are going to get stuck with all that inventory if the pedal somehow gets lost amidst all the other lookalike, soundalike, and workalike products.

At the same time, no one appreciates going uncreditted so be nice to each other and *always* give credit where it is due.  And if it *should* happen that one has plans to take suggested mods and try and earn a dime for them, please be up front with each other folks.  Declare your intentions early and at least give people the option of keeping their ideas to themselves or turning them over to this VERY public domain.

That's not a slag at anyone, merely a good rule to live by.  And, in case anyone is reading this, Brian HAS lived by this rule in his dealings with me.

spudulike

Oh for @#$%s sake why is there so much ass-kissing, sucking-up and placatory @#$%in posts on this forum.

Im going to buck the psycho-babble trend  and side with CD here.

Look, this wampcat SELLS MODS. He is asking for you to provide him with a mod for free, that he will sell.

CD called him out and he's the bad guy.

And Im sorry wampcat but piss-ant replies trawling for sympathy dont cut it. Bottom line is you will sell the mod that you got your R&D for free. The Jeff Doucette references hit the nail spot-on (Mark- at least have the balls to admit that is WHY you posted the reference).

The hype surrounding this pedal is beyond belief. Ever wondered why Fuller uses $250000 worth of gear to demo a $165 pedal ??? Get a grip - ITS JUST A @#$%IN FUZZ BOX.