Boss PS-5 Super Shifter problems

Started by typicalwhiteguy, June 09, 2005, 04:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

typicalwhiteguy

Hey everyone, I've been pretty deep into this site lately, since I am really interested in eventually building my own pedals.  This is my first post, and it's sort of an urgent one or i'd be all decked out with pictures etc. Recently though, one of my bought pedals has started messing up real bad and I was wondering if there was any DIY way I could go about finding out what the problem is and fixing it.  For the sake of this thread (I'll probably take some pedalboardpics later) I will pretend I only have one pedal, the PS-5, running through the effects loop of my mesa dual rectifier.  Now up until like last week, worked great.  Then all of a sudden, as soon as I turn the master volume up around 5 (8 for clean, 5 for dirt,3 for hardcore channel) I get this intense constant like, robot crickets sound blasting through the amp.  I know for a fact this wasn't there before (some people haven't believed me on that).  It does the same straight into the amp as well.  I tried it on my buddies 100 watt solid state marshall combo on similar settings with the volume cranked, no robot insects. I'm hoping that there is some way I can spend some time, find the problem, and fix it myself.  If anyone here has any knowledge about this sort of problem, your help would be greatly appreciated! :D

nelson

The fact that it didnt happen on your friends amp leads me to think it isnt actually your pedal and since you had it before and after the preamp it wont be the input/FX loop sockets. The robot cricket noise your talking about (great description btw) could be caused by a faulty cable or input jack, your description makes me think its your cable.

just a guess.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

niftydog

considering the master volume should have no effect on the effects loop, I'm doubting it's your pedal. Also because you've tried another amp and found no issues.

Try a different pedal in your effects loop and try to recreate it. And this time, don't pretend you've only got one pedal, make it so. You need to eliminate all possibilities!

Also, have you tried changing the battery or running from a wallwart?
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

typicalwhiteguy

Sorry guys, my details were a little lacking.  I've tried each one of my pedals by itself, because I first noticed the problem with everything all together and had to find out which one was causing the problem. I believe I didnt use different cables to see if it that was the problem, but I did use the same two to test every single pedal.
Thanks for the input.

Processaurus

I've noticed the PS-5 makes all kinds of noise if its daisy chained with other pedals, its like you said, robot chirps.  I guess it puts all kinds of digital hash into the power supply lines.  The best way out is to have a special power supply for it alone, and another for everything else.

SnooP_Wiggles

Quote from: ProcessaurusI've noticed the PS-5 makes all kinds of noise if its daisy chained with other pedals, its like you said, robot chirps.  I guess it puts all kinds of digital hash into the power supply lines.  The best way out is to have a special power supply for it alone, and another for everything else.

I haven't had any problems with that, though it depends a lot on what sort of power supply you have (linear, switchmode, low ripple or not so low etc)  and a million other factors.