using transisters as clipping diodes

Started by Narcosynthesis, June 09, 2005, 05:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narcosynthesis

it was mentioned in another thread about using transistors as clipping diodes, and the shaka5 was quoted as using them (http://www.muzique.com/schem/shaka5.htm)

if i was looking to use these on something like a bazz fuss, how would i go about it, in the shaka schem would q3 and q4 be the parts referred to? so if i wanted to use them for a different gain sound on the fuzz i could wire them in place of a normal diode (including the ones in the shaka?) with the base connected to the drain?

i know transisters are multiple diodes wired together (very basically) so they could also be used just using the bc/be junction as the diode and ignoring the other connection

David

brett

Quotei know transisters are multiple diodes wired together (very basically) so they could also be used just using the bc/be junction as the diode and ignoring the other connection
That's right.  I'm in the habit of using the base-emitter.  I don't know why.

have fun
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

amz-fx

Quote from: Narcosynthesisi know transisters are multiple diodes wired together (very basically) so they could also be used just using the bc/be junction as the diode and ignoring the other connection
A b-c connection with a bipolar transistor basically gives you a silicon diode as you indicated.

The Shaka 5 type connection is different...  the extra diodes are steering the signal through the integral drain-source diode that is inherent in mosfet construction. As Aron noted, this gives a different "feel" to the clipping.

I used the gate-source connection of jfets in the Fat Gnat for clipping...  you could easily change those out for mosfets with good results   :wink:

regards, Jack

Narcosynthesis

in the shaka they are used between the hot line and ground to clip the signal (which would work with a normal diode) wired differently than just using them as a silicon diode,  but would they work over the bc connection for clipping like in a bazz fuss, and would i need the diode in series with the transisters like are in the shaka?

i am just looking for alternative sounds from something like a bazz fuss, i know you can change the sound of it by switching different diodes, so just wandering abotu other less common alternatives

David