Most common trannys, diodes, ICs?

Started by Killer Queen, July 09, 2005, 07:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Killer Queen

I'm planning to buy a big selection of caps, pots, resistors etc for my stopbox building, hopefully to keep me stocked up for years. (Easier to buy in bulk than keep making small orders of components, by my reckoning.) The idea being taht I only have to buy enclosures, knobs etc and not have to worry about components.
Now, I have a fair idea what I need in the way of switches, caps, resistors, etc, but not really in the way of:

Trannys (Gi AND Si)
ICs/opamps
Diodes

I'm looking for what values/models are the most common, and widely used. Anyone got any suggestions?

I'm also thinking of picking up a selection of trimpots from http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=18278  Is this woth getting? Also, does anyone know a good place where I can get cheap bulk audio/linear regular pots? (Any pot grab-bags? Or audio/mono jack grab-bags?)

littlegreiger

Some common IC's are:
TL071 - Single Op Amp
TL072 - Dual Op Amp
LM741 - Single Op Amp
4558 - Dual Op Amp
OPA2134 - Dual Op Amp (supposedly low noise, but expensive)

Some common diodes are:
1N4148
1N914
1N400x
1N34a

Some common transistors are:
2N3904 - NPN
2N5088 - NPN
2N5089 - NPN
2N3906 - PNP

Those are all that I can think of off the top of my head.

Connoisseur of Distortion

some additions i would like to make...

Transistors

J201
2N5457
NTE458 (if you can find them cheap...)
BS170

Integrated Circuits

LM386 LOW-Power power amp
CD4049UBE Hex Inverter (can make some very sweet sounding distortions)
TL074 Quad Op-Amp (some of those bigger projects want them)

I also STRONGLY recommend a *bunch* of 100K trimpots!

guitarmonky55

and you can never have too many input/output jacks.

stock up on perfboard and or copper clad, i always seem to run out right when i get together the stuff or idea for an exciting project.

i personally always keep some 2n3904, 2n5087/88/89, a few germs, and some j201s around.  not much else needed with alot of stuff.

lots and lots of 4558 style op amps are good.  get one or two of a bunch of variants from different companies, such as the 4559s, TI ones, burr browns, etc.

one can never have too many .1uF caps.

and for diodes, make sure to grab a bunch of various sizes/colors in LED's to use as clippers in your distortions.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

here's a hint, check what Steve has in stock at Smallbear Electronics. Since, everything on his stocklist is there because some stompbox diyer wanted it!

corbs

what bulk quantities of resistors + caps (what type, etc) would you go for?

i'm thinking of doing this myself as well.

petemoore

I buy the multi pack various value resistor in the 500 pc. package.
 Then I run out of large [470k-1m and bigger] resistors, 10k's and 100k's seem to get eaten up, so I buy extra 10k's, 100k's, and 1Meg's.
 I don't use my LM741's anymore, Ii can't get the performance I'm looking for with them, preferring 4458's for OD's/Distortion, and 'highspec' OA's like ne5532 or better for clean type builds like compressor or boost.
 2n2369 I find gets used alot as Q1 in my FF.  
 I go through alot of 2n5088's and 5089's.
 Jfets...I use alot of these in my stompboxes. J201, NTE458's...and matches phaser set types...
 I don't use the brown flat caps, greenies yes, and like to order the box metal film types [see Fuzz Central's Liquid Drive for a part #].
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Killer Queen

Quote from: corbswhat bulk quantities of resistors + caps (what type, etc) would you go for?

Well ATM I'm thinking of buying assortment packs of Resistors and caps from places like rshelectronics.co.uk and fastcomponents.co.uk. (futurlec.com have a few nice-looking grab bags too) And then i might stock up on a few extra of the common resistor and cap values, which are i believe:
1K, 10K, 22K, 47K, 100K, 470K and 1M resistors
10nF, , 100nF, 1uF, and 10uF caps (and maybe a few of the 4.7s, 4s etc inbetween.)

I'll get grab-bags for electrolytic, polyester film and ceramic type caps. Not sure about resistors though. I'll definatly pick up a bag of carbon film ones, but I'm not sure about Metal film resistors. Would it be worth spending £10 on a bunch of Metal film resistors, or should I just buy a handful of common values in metal film, or none atall? Will I find myself using them much? Would that money be better spend buying more carbon resistors? (Jameco seem to have a pack of 2700 resistors for $25- that might last me a while, heh!)

OK, so here my list for ICs, tranys etc:
Transistors
2N5088 - NPN
2N5089 - NPN
2N3906 - PNP
2N3904 - NPN
J201      - FET
BS170   - FET
2N5457

ICs
TL071 - Single Op Amp
TL072 - Dual Op Amp
LM741 - Single Op Amp
4558 - Dual Op Amp
LM386 LOW-Power power amp
CD4049UBE Hex Inverter
TL074 Quad Op-Amp

Diodes
1N4148
1N914
1N400x
1N34a

Anything missing from there? Are there any general sort of germanium Diodes/Trannys that I should get a bunch of?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

There aren't any CA3080s there.. but now they aren't made anymore, maybe people will redesign with NE5517 (equiv tio LM13700).

I'd be happy to design with that lot!

Killer Queen

Is there any important difference between a the CA3080 and the CA3080E? (CA3080E seems to be rather cheaper.)

jmusser

You'll never go wrong having a good cache of 100K log pots, since that makes up probabaly 75% of the volume controls on pedals, You'll have to have a stomp switch for each project, plenty of hook up wire, JRC386D chips, MPSA13, MPSA18, 2N2222 transistors, battery snaps, 42MT018 & 42MT013 transformers, and a few IN5817 shottkey diodes. Most of those are a must for any Tim Escobedo project, along with the ones already mentioned. The 42MT013 transformers work for the Bobtavia, Simple Octave Up, and Neotavia. The 018 will work in the Tychobrahe, Bronx Cheer, Psychtar and a couple others. SPST switches come in handy too. I'm building the Ring Frobnicator, and if I get it to work well with the CA3080A, I'll sub in it's equivilent NTE996 to see if it works just as well, since the 3080s are getting hard to come by.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

spudulike

Quote from: corbswhat bulk quantities of resistors + caps (what type, etc) would you go for?

RSH Electronics do good selection bags of film resistors and caps.

marduk

Slightly off topic, but where is a good place to buy assortments of resistorys and capacitors?

squidsquad

Hey,  don't forget good ol MPF102.
I like the sound of em.

corbs

for some reason i've only looked at maplin grab bags and i wasn't impressed with the selection.

tnx!

MartyMart

Quote from: corbsfor some reason i've only looked at maplin grab bags and i wasn't impressed with the selection.

tnx!

Try Here :
www.fastcomponents.co.uk
Very cheap "grab bags" for poly caps, tantalum caps, electro caps and
resistors  !!  :D

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

dominatrix_volleyball

Are there any good US grab bags out there? Or cheap internationally shipping ones?

col

Try www.rhselectronics.co.uk and look in the bargains section. I got their 20 transistors for £1 which inluded BC107, BC109, 2N3906, BC182L, BC184L etc. Great value! I also got 10 quaility 9v battery clips for £1.

Col
Col

corbs