Acoustic/Line level boost ... using the amz mini boost ??

Started by Melanhead, June 10, 2005, 08:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melanhead

hmmmm .... I built an AMZ mini boost a while back but it can't handle an acoustic with a built in preamp ... I assummed it wouldn't but thought I'd give it a shot :)

Anyone ever mod a booster to function with a acoustic/line level signal ... I'm assuming I'd have to change the input inpedance / pad the input signal but by doing this wouldn't I then have to build the level back up on the output ?

maybe there is a better pedal build for this ....

the use would be for acoustic solos as I play about 75% acoustic in my current band ...

anyone ?

Melanhead

Geesh! ... I though someone would have an answer for this one  :shock:

davebungo

You could build a very simple booster using a single FET/BJT transistor stage or an op-amp.  As your built-in pre-amp will have a fairly low output impedance and a good signal level, the design isn't all that critical and I guess you won't really want any distortion for effect purposes.  You would only need a gain of perhaps 10dB or so I would have thought.

The mini-booster is based on a very high gain stage so it isn't really suitable for your application.

d95err

You could use the inverse of a booster, i.e. something that lowers the volume. Play with the low volume for regular strumming and switch it off to normal level for solos.

This wold basically be a box with two jacks and a pot. There are some more advanced versions of this which use a capacitor to prevent tone loss when lowering the volume.

EDIT: Check out the "Clean Machine" in Dragonfly's layout gallery at www.diypedals.com

Bernardduur

I did the same thing once, but at the end I hated the sound of the boost. It just could not handle it. So I made a compressor, sold the boost, and am loving the sound I am getting so much....Try it out. I made the Orange Squeezer "Full Wave" version.

PS, on the "modded" bass setting an acoustic guitar sounds even better.
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

Melanhead

dv8

You could try the Orange Squeezer, it can give a boost.  I've used it with my acoustic.

-brian

Bernardduur

Melanhead

that's 2 ... maybe I'll have to try the orange squeezer ... I actually have one, I bought it used many years ago, and used the box for something else .... hmmmm, maybe I should put it back together :)

Bernardduur

I like the modded version above the original because you can alter the compression level and volume next to attack time, decay time and gain. By this extra's I can make the unit boost my acoustic guitar and make my guitar sounds good.

Arn C.

QuoteI did the same thing once, but at the end I hated the sound of the boost. It just could not handle it. So I made a compressor, sold the boost, and am loving the sound I am getting so much....Try it out. I made the Orange Squeezer "Full Wave" version.

Bernardduur,  where can I find this build?  I am also interested in building this pedal as I also play more acoustic-electric  than electric guitar!

Peace!
Arn C.

Melanhead

Quote from: Arn C.
QuoteI did the same thing once, but at the end I hated the sound of the boost. It just could not handle it. So I made a compressor, sold the boost, and am loving the sound I am getting so much....Try it out. I made the Orange Squeezer "Full Wave" version.

Bernardduur,  where can I find this build?  I am also interested in building this pedal as I also play more acoustic-electric  than electric guitar!

Peace!
Arn C.

me too please :)

Bernardduur

You can find it at http://www.moosapotamus.com/OSfullwave.gif. The unit is in my eyes easy to build. I tried different IC's and found the 4558 to sound the best to my ears (also like the OPA dual opamp). Bass mods are (from my site, still unpublished):

"I added a guitar / bass selector switch to make the unit more suitable for the lowest bass string (else too much compression on that string). To do this I changed the output cap from 4.7 to 1.0 microfahrad and I changed the "bleeder" cap from 4.7 to 10 microfahrad (cap next to 100k resistor)."

Arn C.

Thank You Bernardduur!

Much appreciated!

Peace!
Arn C.

Bernardduur

Melanhead