Submini Tube Booster Project

Started by ragtime8922, June 13, 2005, 10:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragtime8922

Some of you have been asking about the tube projects that I had planned to post. Here is a sub-miniature booster that gives your guitar a very warm touch and a nice boost just before it enters your amp. Therefore it is called the Warm Welcome.

http://tinypic.com/5xobrr

There are 4 more sub-mini tube projects on the way. Another boost with more tonal options, a bluesy overdrive, a high gain overdrive and an amplifier called the Pico Amp (any clue where I got the inspiration for that? :wink: )

I've been working on the amp for a long time because the goal was to be smaller than Zvex Nano Amp yet still have the same tone quality. (Mr. Vex is a true genius. I learn more about that every time I work on the Pico Amp. And Zachary has built hundreds of them!). Anyway, I'm using the small Hammond box, the 1590J or 1590G whichever is the small one, I can't recall and it's downstairs right now. And yes, it will be posted to my brothers here on the forum for a DIY project.

If anyone wants the power supply posted I'll draw one up tomorrow. During testing/R&D I use a tranny, rectifier, filter caps, resistor on a piece of wood for the B+ and a seperate variable DC power supply for the 6.3v heater.

vanhansen

That looks interesting.  I'm curious as to the tone it puts out.  Is that 1n cap on the gain pot a treble bleed cap?
Erik

ragtime8922

Quote from: vanhansenThat looks interesting.  I'm curious as to the tone it puts out.  Is that 1n cap on the gain pot a treble bleed cap?

Yeah, and I'm still playing with the value. I actually wasn't going to post yet but a few guys asked me so I put a rush on the booster. It's a beautiful warm touch that adds chunk but maintains articulation. You guys have to get set up for tube projects and give it a shot.

markr04

Will you post PCB layouts for these projects also?
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

Bill Bergman

OH BOY!!!!!!!!!!!! can't wait.  
I'm about 3/4 done with my mini amp project. I'm pretty sure it's gonna blow up when I plug it in. :shock:  If it does, hopefully yours will be ready to build by then. :lol:

zachary vex

you should put the two 6021w triodes in parallel for lower noise if you are using that circuit stand-alone.  8^)

bwanasonic

Quote from: ragtime8922a high gain overdrive and an amplifier called the Pico Amp (any clue where I got the inspiration for that? :wink: )

Isn't that a character from F-Zero?

Kerry M

lovekraft0

Other than the obvious novelty of the 6021's size, is there anything inherently audio-enhancing about using it, like really low noise, or a special flavor to its distortion? On paper, it looks to me like a tiny 12AT7 with a somewhat lower plate resistance - what am I missing?  :? Or is everybody just using it because the NanoHead works so well? No offense intended, I just wanted to know if I need to go buy a bunch of 6021s to try.  :D

zachary vex

there's nothing special about it.  nothing at all.  stick to more conventional tubes.  8^)

puretube

when I grow up, I want to become a miniature toroidal output-transformer manufacturer...
:wink:

Melanhead

Quote from: ragtime8922

If anyone wants the power supply posted I'll draw one up tomorrow. During testing/R&D I use a tranny, rectifier, filter caps, resistor on a piece of wood for the B+ and a seperate variable DC power supply for the 6.3v heater.

That would be cool :)

ragtime8922

Quote from: zachary vexyou should put the two 6021w triodes in parallel for lower noise if you are using that circuit stand-alone.  8^)

This is just the first part of an overdrive circuit that I thought I'd post as a booster. Also, there is always the phase issue with a single tube stage. How did you mean to parallel both stages? Still take the output from stage 1? Can you direct me to a schematic example?

BTW, there is some extra noise right now due to the fact that I am using a breadboard for the circuit and my gnd and pos bus lines are connected to my FX proto-breadboard because it has the wrapper (in/out jacks, switch, pots).

Zachary, thank you very much.

ragtime8922

Quote from: puretubewhen I grow up, I want to become a miniature toroidal output-transformer manufacturer...
:wink:

Please grow up now then! That would be awesome :shock:

ragtime8922

Quote from: Bill BergmanOH BOY!!!!!!!!!!!! can't wait.  
I'm about 3/4 done with my mini amp project. I'm pretty sure it's gonna blow up when I plug it in. :shock:  If it does, hopefully yours will be ready to build by then. :lol:

Bill, I remember talking with you about that amp but can't remember any details. Is it a starved plate circuit on 12V?

Bill Bergman

Ragtime,
No, it's B+ of about 150vdc

Bill Bergman

Here's a pic from a couple days ago.  
I'm further a long now but haven't taken any new pictures yet. http://www.freewebs.com/elroy2/16.jpg

hmmm, can't seem to make the link work.

ragtime8922

Yeah, the link isn't working. I am really looking forward to seeing it though. Do you have a schem? I talked with you over at AX84, right?

Bill Bergman

Yes, it actually just a version of thre High Octane I think by Chris Hurley.
You can cut and paste the link into the adress bar, then the picture should appear.

ragtime8922

Bill that is cool. I take it that the blue things are trannys? Where did you get them? (Sorry if I missed a thread or something but I love sub mini stuff so I now have questions...lol)

My power tranny is a torroid from Amveco. I thought I saw the EH trannys and they didn't appear blue, I thought they were like a gold metal look.

Also, what output tube are you using?

I'm using a 5902 in one design and the 6021 in another. 5902 is awesome but getting harder to get and I'm not going to post something that these guys can't build.

I will say this. There is something truly special about running these things single ended. Very nice tone that sorta gets lost with push pull.

Bill Bergman

Those are  Amveco 7040's
10VA, 7vac toroidals
I'm using a 5902 for an output tube also. I originally was going to use a 5840 but the mu was too high.