OK, im gonna describe something, see if you can name it

Started by BAM, June 14, 2005, 09:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BAM

because i have no idea what its called. This is what im looking for. Im sorry if the description is vague, but bear with me.

Its a small metal disk, about the size of a nickel (that ranges in size however) and it is touch sensitive. So, when it is touched, it will cut/modify the signal in a given way, and when it is left untouched, the signal can be passed through. (Guess what im installing? :wink: ) Does anybody know what this is called, or even know what im talking about? thanks

KORGULL

Sounds like a piezo switch or some type of ultra thin tactile switch - like the kind that usually has a rubber or plastic "button" placed over it. I find these alot in electronic toys/games.
...Or do you mean it only needs to be lightly touched with no force/pressure for it to activate?

BAM

Quote from: KORGULLOr do you mean it only needs to be lightly touched with no force/pressure for it to activate?

thats what im talking about

Johnny Guitar

Maybe a capacitive switch? I seem to recall some info on the PAiA site about such switches.

darkseid

maybe a touch sensitive oscillator.. with a  capacitive switch.... that would be cool...

sean k

so how does one want it to modify the signal?resistive?
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

http://www.qprox.com/products/qtouch.php

might be a start. The chips themselves are fairly cheap at Digikey I believe. I havn't used (or seen!) them myself.

BAM

Quote from: sean kso how does one want it to modify the signal?resistive?

Basically, its going to act as a kill switch, only instead of using a toggle switch, I'm going to use the thing I'm describing. And i cant remember the name of it if my life depended on it. Think of having a nickle some other form of currency with 1/2 in. diameter on your guitar, and whenever you touch it, the signal will mute.  :? Sorry if its vague, but this is the best I can do. This has been driving me crazy for about a week now.

vanhansen

Sounds like some sort of momentary switch or a photocell of some sort.
Erik

toneman

sounds like a capacitative touch sw.
use it to control a VCA(voltage-controller-amplifier)
touch sw needs electronics & pwr supply.
when touched, it can make a (LOGIC)voltage go hi or low.
this voltage can control the signal flow thru the VCA.
i built one of these 30yrs ago into my ol' Fender Mustang.
Only, i used several of them to switch the pickups.
:-)
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

BAM

Quote from: tonemansounds like a capacitative touch sw.
use it to control a VCA(voltage-controller-amplifier)
touch sw needs electronics & pwr supply.
when touched, it can make a (LOGIC)voltage go hi or low.
this voltage can control the signal flow thru the VCA.
i built one of these 30yrs ago into my ol' Fender Mustang.
Only, i used several of them to switch the pickups.
:-)

this is what im lookg for. Thank you so much!

ok, now i need to ask you this: Since it needs a power supply, would i have to install a power source into my guitar? This is going into a Fender Strat btw. Would it be possible to wire it so it would recieve power internally? And ive been reading up on it since i found out what it is, since it needs electronics, would this even be possible to isntall?

darkseid

Ah!  a mute thingy...  touch sensitive resistive switches seems to be the wav of the future hehe....  

But still  a touch sensitive oscillator would be cool on a guitar...  :)  Or maybe a touch sensitive tone bender ... maybe better than using a trem bar  :idea:

petemoore

I want one.... 8)
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: darkseidBut still  a touch sensitive oscillator would be cool on a guitar...  :)  Or maybe a touch sensitive tone bender ... maybe better than using a trem bar  :idea:

I have a 'guitar' made in Salt Lake City that consists entirely of touch switches (arranged as string segments between the non-existent frets) that control the 6 independent CMOS bsed oscillators.
You trigger notes by touching another 6 'strings' where you woudl normally pluck. PLUS, there is a .... plate you touch tht triggers a pitchbend envelope on all notes!!!!!!!

Oh, and the whole thing is made of perspex.