Tone Bender More High End?

Started by Arn C., June 15, 2005, 02:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arn C.

Hello Folks!
   I have another question about a tone bender.  How can I increase the treble?  
Can I just increse or decrease the input and output caps or can I add a Joe Gagan variable cap or add a tone control?

Any info appreciated!
Thanks!
Arn C.

phillip

If you built the ToneBender Professional MKII,  I would start by removing the 0.01uF from input to ground (before the input capacitor).  That capacitor removes highs from the circuit.  If you still want more high end, you can decrease the values of the input and output capacitors a little.

Hope this helps!
Phillip

Arn C.

jmusser

Hey Arn C. I built this a good while ago, and the key to thinning it, is to use a .01 output cap. The input cap on this one doesn't seem to effect it nearly as dramatically, as the output cap does. I have a thin/fat switch on both ends, but it's the output that gives it that Yard Bird/Satisfaction type tone. Let me know how it goes.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Arn C.

QuoteI have a thin/fat switch on both ends, but it's the output that gives it that Yard Bird/Satisfaction type tone.

Thanks Man!  Exactly what I was looking for!

OOops, I already have a .01 as output cap, should I go smaller or larger on the caps to lower the bass and increase the highs????

Peace!
Arn C.

Bernardduur

I would say the exact same thing; does the original doesn't already have a 0.01 muf cap?
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

Arn C.

Anyone Else?  Need more treble..........more treble........

Thanks!
Arn C.

jmusser

I believe the original is .01. I build RDVs Si version, which I believe he used a .1, because he liked a fuller sound. I went to the .01, which gave me the thinner tone I wanted. You can go to something like a .001, but at some point, you go into "booster land", and start loosing the fuzz. I did a thin switch on my Jordon Boss Tone, and I believe it is a .001 on the output and input. On that one, the input makes a big difference. At about that value, you're starting to loose fuzz. The bigger the cap value the more treble you pass (more bass). You'll want to look at Aron's "Simple Mod's and Tips". It has all this information in it.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

WGTP

I subbed a 470k/470pF cap in parallel between the first stage and the FF stage.  It will probably reduce the overal distortion some, but should get you more highs.   8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Brian Marshall

Arn C.

Quote100k volume pot

That's what I have in there :(

Anyone else?

Thanks!
Arn C.

Jaicen_solo

Ok, changind the input caps is only going to increase treble at the expense of lower frequencies (since only HF is boosted).
What you really need to do is increase the input impedance of the circuit itself, to stop it loading down your pickups. That's what's probably causing your problem.
I find that adding a high inpedance mosfet buffer before a fuzz, then removing the cap/resistor to ground on the inputs usually does the trick.

Good to see you're still hard at Arn ;-)

Arn C.

Thanks Folks for all the info.  I put a switch to put the cap to ground on the input, so I can put in in or out of the circuit.  Definately helps. I also drilled a hole on the top of the pedal, so I can adjust the trimpot on Q3 without taking it apart, to fine tune by ear.
I also put two rotary switches in for six input caps and six output caps.
It is now amazing.    Input caps used (4.7uf,2.2uf.1.0uf, .1uf,.01uf,.001uf) Output caps(.1uf,.047uf,.022uf,.0082,.0047,.001)So many variations now, its unbelievable!   I am very happy with this pedal now.  Going on my pedal board!

Thanks again all for your help!
Arn C.