question for rubber on bottom of boxes

Started by rutledj, June 15, 2005, 08:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rutledj

I've seen some pics of finished boxes and some have the thin black rubber glued to the bottom (it almost covers the complete bottom).

Just wondering about a source for that stuff.

Thanks,
Rut

Rick

You can use an old bicycle tire tube cut to specs for this. It works for many other uses as well -don't through them all out! ...Rick

Rodgre

I use neoprene foam which comes in small sheets called "Foamies" or something like that, available at craft stores, and even Wal-Mart.  You'll find it where you find arts and craft stuff for kids....felt, etc.

Roger

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Another option might be to paint the bottom with some composition compound, like bitumen paint for example. And, from the Ashmolean museum:
"The rubberised material originally used as underlay was found to dry out and crumble, thus damaging the carpets. As rubber degrades it off-gasses harmful sulphur compounds, which destroy the wool fibres. Experiments are currently being carried out using thick polyester felt painted with a few layers of silicon rubber on the underside. Polyester is suitable, since it is synthetic and does not attract moths or carpet beetles. The silicon acts as a grip against the floor, to stop the carpet sliding."
In case anyone was worried about moths attacjking their fuzzes..
Seriously thiough, tehre are quite a few standard products that stick on the back of rugs to stop them sliding.

Connoisseur of Distortion

go for velcro... pedalboard ready!  :D

if you're bent on using rubber stuff, go cut up an old mousepad... those work alright i hear.

Mark Hammer

I have used the same hobby foam sheets that Rodgre noted with some success.

One thing that just occurred to me this second, though is that black rocker-panel or deck paint you can get in spray cans that dries in a quasi-rubberized form.  Feels like tolex and has a bit of grip.  One of the things I'm always apprehensive about is the foam sheeting pulling the paint off the bottom of the chassis, since I paint first then glue the foam over top.  I wonder if it wouldn't be safer to mask off the chassis and spray a couple of coats of the rubberized stuff on the bottom?  Just an idea.

dpresley58

I use the "gimme" mousepads that salesmen and distributors hand out by the truckload. Easy to use, mounts with a medium-viscosity superglue and wears like iron.
Little time to do it right. Always time to do it over.

jdjonsson

I just use little stick-on rubber feet from Radio Shack. But then mine just sit on the floor in my basement. I don't go gigging with them.

nelson

Quote from: jdjonssonI just use little stick-on rubber feet from Radio Shack. But then mine just sit on the floor in my basement. I don't go gigging with them.

Nothing wrong with rubber feet, even for gigging. I think there is no need for the entire bottom of the pedal to be covered in rubber, its bad for the environment  :P . However the mousemat would be the way I would go, its recycling . :)
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Eric H

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)
"The rubberised material originally used as underlay was found to dry out and crumble, thus damaging the carpets. As rubber degrades it off-gasses harmful sulphur compounds, which destroy the wool fibres."

Clearly, the same material MXR used to insulate their circuit boards.

-Eric
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

Mark F

Quote from: Eric H
Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)
"The rubberised material originally used as underlay was found to dry out and crumble, thus damaging the carpets. As rubber degrades it off-gasses harmful sulphur compounds, which destroy the wool fibres."

-Eric
Man, is that S*** a Horrible Mess or what!? :evil:

MartyB

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: Mark F
Quote from: Eric H
-Eric
Man, is that S*** a Horrible Mess or what!? :evil:

Even worse when it is used in a MG-1 synth! Or as a filter in the back of a Tektronix scope :shock:  :x  :cry:

MarkH, that deck paint is exactly wht i was trying to think of.

jmusser

I never thought of a mouse pad, but that would be perfect. I'll probably sharpen up the end of a piece of 3/4 conduit, and use it for a hole punch to make feet with. That way, you'd get a lot of mileage out of one mouse pad. Thanks for the idea!
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".