OCD finally got to try one today sounds like an ODR-1

Started by dosmun, June 15, 2005, 11:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dosmun

I finally got to check out an OCD today. I plugged it in and thought wow this sounds kinda familiar. I went and dug out my Nobels ODR-1 and it is very similar to the ODR-1. The OCD has more gain but I was able to get many of the same sounds with the ODR-1. I would bet that an ODR-1 could be modded to get REAL close to the OCD. I would say that my ODR-1 is at least 75% there.

I did compare the pots and the OCD has a 100K vol and  500K Drive where the ODR-1 has a 50K vol and a 250K drive pot.  I am assuming that this is where the gain difference is.

wampcat1

AL

I've got two ODR-1's. One of which I've been attempting to repair for about a year (lousy transistors #@!!@$ - I found them and they're on back order). Anyway, it's a fantastic sounding pedal. Makes for a great booster pedal. I saw a few studio guys in Nashville use them in their live rigs. Not bad for $60.

AL

dosmun

I am interested to see what some others think.  They both can do different things but they also share some sounds as well.

Ed G.

What's the deal with the Nobels? I thought it was just another tube screamer-type overdrive. (I've never played it, just what I assumed)

Mark Hammer

I've never played one either, but I'm staring at the schematic right now, and there are a couple of things different between it and a TS-9.

Like the TS-9/808 it uses a pair of 1N4148's in the feedback loop of an op-amp for clipping, and also places the gain control in that same feedback loop, which means that the amount of treble rolloff increases with gain, maintaining the "smoothness".  UNLIKE the TS-9, it includes two ground legs in that same noninverting op-amp gain stage, one of which provides additional gain above 2.3khz.  Similarly, while it includes a simple lowpass filter after the gain stage (just like a TS9), the rolloff is much higher than a TS9, *plus* there is also a 2nd set of clipping diodes to ground, followed by another lowpass filter.  

Finally, unlike the TS-9, it has a fairly complex tone control that appears to do much more than the TS-style control, which is followed by another gain stage (about x23) adding potentially more output than a TS.

All in all, it strikes me that an ODR-1 should have more bite, more bottom, and more variation in tone than a TS-9.  Can anyone confirm or deny?

dosmun

QuoteAll in all, it strikes me that an ODR-1 should have more bite, more bottom, and more variation in tone than a TS-9. Can anyone confirm or deny?

BINGO :D

That is a good description.

The ODR-1 does have a bunch of bottom end going for it.

MartyMart

Quote from: Mark Hammer
All in all, it strikes me that an ODR-1 should have more bite, more bottom, and more variation in tone than a TS-9.  Can anyone confirm or deny?

I use mine a LOT, and yes its very much an "increased gain/tone" TS9 !
Very under-rated IMO, .... if only SRV had chosen this model ...... ££££!!

Marty.

BTW - I discovered, with the help of wampcat, that the newer "silver"
model ( which wasn;t sounding quite as good ) just needs its gain & Vol
pots swopping over ..... DA DAHH !! Exactly the same ....
I wonder, was this a manufacturing mistake .. ??
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Mark Hammer

Wow.  I'm still blown away by how its possible to look at a schem and imagine a tone.  I'm starting to understand those painters who go blind and composers who go deaf, and still manage to describe things to their assistants so they can still produce works in the senses that they can't use any more.

AL

I like the ODR-1 much better than a Tube Screamer. It just seems more transparent to my ears. I do like Tube Screamers too however. The ODR-1 has some FETs in it (which are hard to find !!). It also has 2 4558's in it for twice the mojo (both in a SIP package). But, if you can find an ODR-1 in the states I would recommend giving one a whirl. I am currently using mine as a clean boost (sold my AMZ boost - I can't seem to keep too many DIY pedals which I guess is a good thing). I have a Nobels ODR-S that I'm using for some higher gain stuff - not real high gain but plenty for me. The ODR-S has a similar sound to the ODR-1 but it has a 3-band EQ.

Add this one to the mojo thread. Apparently the older, green, ODR-1's are the ones to look for. There seems to be a buzz around those for whatever reason. There is a white ODR-1 which, I think, is an anniversary model.

Nobels will let you download their schematics too. You just to give your email address. There's a link in the schematics section. Also, the customer service was helpful when I emailed them with some tech questions.

AL

Doug_H

Quote from: Mark Hammer
UNLIKE the TS-9, it includes two ground legs in that same noninverting op-amp gain stage, one of which provides additional gain above 2.3khz.

Smells like a rat...

:wink:

Doug

wampcat1

Quote from: AL
Add this one to the mojo thread. Apparently the older, green, ODR-1's are the ones to look for. There seems to be a buzz around those for whatever reason. There is a white ODR-1 which, I think, is an anniversary model.

Nobels will let you download their schematics too. You just to give your email address. There's a link in the schematics section. Also, the customer service was helpful when I emailed them with some tech questions.

AL

Actually, the ONLY difference between the silver ones and the green ones is that the volume and gain pots are reversed. Switch these and you will have the green one in a silver box. I spent about 2 solid days reverse engineering them, comparing them to the schems etc. and that is the only difference. I also have a soundclip:
http://www.indyguitarist.com/soundclips/nobels-new_old.mp3

Take care,
Brian

wampcat1

Quote from: wampcat1
Quote from: AL

AL

Actually, the ONLY difference between the silver ones and the green ones is that the volume and gain pots are reversed. Switch these and you will have the green one in a silver box. I spent about 2 solid days reverse engineering them, comparing them to the schems etc. and that is the only difference. I also have a soundclip:
http://www.indyguitarist.com/soundclips/nobels-new_old.mp3

Take care,
Brian

I just listened to that soundclip again -- the clips sounds like ass, though the pedal really is much better than that, but you'll get the 'jist' of the comparison. I'm not sure what amp I played this on, or what mic I used...

Ghandi

So the green version has only 1/5 of the drive compared to the silver version.