Input cap switch for English Channel

Started by stumper1, June 18, 2005, 03:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumper1

I need some help setting up an input cap switch for ROG's English Channel.  The listed values are 470pf or 4n7.  I realize I can do a DPDT on/on switch and just switch between the 2 values but I want to avoid the POP!  To do this I think I should use 2 caps in series or parallel and shunt one with a switch.  My 2 big questions:

1-What values do I need.  If I understand the searching I did caps in parallel add up.  Caps in series work like resistors in parallel.  Can someone help with the math one way or the other to get the 2 values I'm looking for?

2-How to wire the switch for either case?
Deric®

u1061810

Hi,
Your math is right about the caps.With the caps, I think you could use a input cap blend control mod there, if you dont want any pop.Like thishttp://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/ezface_blend_cap.jpgOr the switch, like thishttp://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/ezface_sw_cap.jpg

stumper1

Thanks for the suggestions.  My first thought was the switch set-up like you posted.  It seems ideal as there is no math required to get the values right - just a seperate cap for each value and all is good - but I think it will POP.

The blend option looks good but I really want a switch for 2 specific values.

I did some searches here and it seems I need to either use multiple values in series or parallel and then use a switch to shunt one or more of these to get the second value (that's where my math gets fuzzy).  I also could not find a diagram for the switch set up.

All help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Deric®

Gavin Taylor

Hello,
New here,but could pull-down resistors work in that spot to stop the pop, or no?Anyone?
Caps in parallel, just add the values.Caps in series, multiply C1 by C2 and then divide by the sum of C1 and C2.

stumper1

The pull down resistor seems like a good idea.

1M to ground just before each cap on a DPDT switch?

Any other thoughts MUCH appreciated!!
Deric®

stumper1

Will this work?  Can anyone help?

:?:
Deric®

aron

The pull down resistor should work.

stumper1

Thanks for the help!!  I'll give it a shot.
Deric®