BSIAB II Build report with etched graphics

Started by Pushtone, June 19, 2005, 11:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

That is the best etched Hammonds I have seen. Keep up the good work!

Pushtone

Quote from: Myriad SocietyOut of curiosity, do you remember what font you used for the "Level" and "Dist." labeling on the LoFo MoFo pic of the stainless steel etch? To my eye, that looks like the perfect font for the small labeling on my own pedals.

The LEVEL and DIST. labels are straight up Arial Black on the PC. Helvetical Bold on the Mac. The etching gives it a hand worked look.

Note that this LoFoMoFo photo is of  stainless steel metal with the FC applied with a q-tip. If you "bath" your box it will look like the control lables on the BSIAB pics. Thats the same font! But I did let the etching of the BSIAB get away on me. I'm going to do the LoFoMoFo box with a Q-tip and see if I can get the same clean lines as I did on the stainless steel. I'll post pics.
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

Myriad Society

Cool, thanks for the response Pushtone. I can't wait to see those pics when you get it done.
Extended warranty...how can I lose!

chrishopkins

Great work!  There are a line of Korean made stompboxes that have etched boxes too called Moollon.

I wouldn't be surprised if the basic method of etching is the same and they are very shibby.  They're also quite pricey!

MartyMart

Quote from: chrishopkinsGreat work!  There are a line of Korean made stompboxes that have etched boxes too called Moollon.

I wouldn't be surprised if the basic method of etching is the same and they are very shibby.  They're also quite pricey!

Yeah, i saw those too - nice boxes, but the prices of them  !!!!   :shock:

Looks like that etcching is the way to go, I'm not happy with any of my
paint finishes and they "chip off" so easily !  :oops:

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

chrishopkins

QuoteLooks like that etcching is the way to go, I'm not happy with any of my paint finishes and they "chip off" so easily !  :oops:

The only thing I'm worry about are the fumes.  I'll have to try it out with my Fuzz Face project.  I suppose you wouldn't need a lot of ferric chloride either.

robotboy

I got inspired by this, and I made an attempt of my own last night. I don't have any PNP Blue, so I had to use HP Premium Photo Paper. My HP Laserjet 4 is on it's last legs, so I had to run the transfer through twice. Other than that, it wasn't too difficult; although, I have a suspicion that using a good laser printer and PNP would make it 100 times easier. I used a q-tip to apply the ferric chloride only to the area of the graphic. I reapplied every ten minutes for an hour then rinsed and cleaned with acetone. It's not perfect, but good enough for my DIY purposes.

Bill Bergman

gez

Wow, some amazing looking stuff!

I posted this a year or so ago

I used photo resist paint (dab-on) but didn't have a proper light box at the time so it didn't turn out very well (in fact it's slightly crap).  I used a small sponge to dab on the ferric, no fumes.  Earbud sounds like a better idea though.

I did some samples and they were superb, looked as though the metal had been engraved, but the above turned out to be a bit of a disaster.  Now I have a proper light box I really should give this another go!
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

LivingDeadPunk

Whooooooooooo that's so cool!!!
I've never thought about it. Excellent idea mate and great result.
Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.

Albert Einstein

chrishopkins

When I get a chance I'm going to try using a William Morris design - I'd need to simplify it a bit (maybe a lot) but I would look well funky

chrishopkins

Here's the William Morris design I'm going to try:

I've reduced it in size just to illustrate.  I took an image from Google, and then played around with it in Paint Shop Pro to get it to the correct dimensions.

If anybody wants to try it, send me a message and I'll mail the full sized version over.

gez

Is this one of those psychology  tests?  All I can see are 'lady bits'  :P
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

chrishopkins

gez

I live a short walk away from where Will Morris had his works (Merton Abbey Mills). He used the mill (water driven and still in use), so some of the stuff he made must have been mechanised (albeit in the 'old fashioned' way)?

The main building he used is built out of stone from the ruined abbey that used to stand there. One of the few bits of evidence left that this structure existed is the ruin of a small chapel, where medieval kings & queens were laid to rest. What did the local council do with it? Er, built a bloody bypass over it! They couldn't shift the road a little to the right as that would have meant the proposed Sainsbury's carpark would have been a little on the small side. Glad we've got our priorities right then!

There's a crappy little window you look through in an underpass that lets you view it in all its splendor (when the window isn't borded up that is)...I just want to crack heads together when I see stuff like this!  :cry:

chrishopkins

Yup - sensible town planning at it's finest...

Sounds like it should have a blue plaque

gez

Quote from: chrishopkinsSounds like it should have a blue plaque

Our council would probably give it to Sainsbury!

Peter Snowberg

Eschew paradigm obfuscation

chrishopkins

I still aint had a chance to either try that or build my fuzzface - been running around sorting out my new job.

have got all the parts and should (i repeat) should be having a crack on the weekend.  

I'm going to socket most parts so I can swap stuff over and maybe add things like the pregain control at a later date.

ElectroFreak

The etching is possibly the coolest thing I have seen in a looong time.  I recently got back into the DIY effects scene (after a decade) and things are a bit different now.  Can I get this blue paper at any electronics place or is it specialty?  I recently built a Marshall Gov'nor clone and while it sounds great, I'm looking for another distortion to build.  Kind of a 'rip your face off' distortion, and this BSIAB sounds like it may work?  Also, for someone starting out again (supply-wise) should I just get one of those basic etching kits to make my boards?  Wiring that Gov'nor by hand was a pain.  Again, excellent job on those etchings, it looks awesome, and thanks for sharing the idea and photos.