inside a Red Llama (pics...)

Started by puretube, June 21, 2005, 12:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gez

Interesting how the wires are done (no thru-hole connection).  Must be fiddly to do!
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

puretube

No - faster and easier: you don`t have to twist the de-isolated end:
just tin it, hold it to the pad, and hit it with the iron - no fiddling trying to target the hole...

gez

Yeah, but a PCB trace is only glued down.  If the wire goes through a hole, the board takes some of the stress if the wire is yanked.  

To each their own!  :)
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

jimbob

are there really that few components involved? esp for the price?!! i want one!
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

cd

Quote from: jimbobare there really that few components involved? esp for the price?!! i want one!

Don't forget they were $150 or so new.  Collectors have jacked up the prices way into the land of stupid.

The one I had at one point was different IIRC, all the wires were done the "correct" way, through holes.

jimbob

i assume no schemos out there- or is that wrong to ask?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

puretube

it`s "Lead To Trace" -wiring, or "Wire To Pad" -wiring (LTT or WTP)...

it`s cool, man - somebody shove it into the MoJo-thread...  :lol:

aron

Jimbob,

Here's the layout:

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album19/WH_RED_LLAMA

It's basically a Craig Anderton circuit based on the 4049 chip. I like Frank Clarke's version better.

jimbob

puretube

i prefer xx69 : less holes/pins

gez

Quote from: puretubeit`s "Lead To Trace" -wiring, or "Wire To Pad" -wiring (LTT or WTP)...

it`s cool, man - somebody shove it into the MoJo-thread...  :lol:

Hmmm, now you mention it I do see how this could improve tone (less chance of molecules from the fibreglass board sucking highs as the electrons pass through the hole in it).

Wow, I was blind and now I can see!   :lol:  8)

puretube

can you imagine how much useless resin is wasted, just to fill the space between the fierce fibres with goop?

gez

Quote from: puretubecan you imagine how much useless resin is wasted, just to fill the space between the fierce fibres with goop?

Yeah, but I bet there are gaps, or 'air pockets', just big enough for electrons to hide in...that would account for the lack of bass I find with through hole wiring!  :P

brad

Quote from: puretubeGut pictures:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=958370

I'm not sure if those are the original guts, unless it was a really early pedal.  All the Red Llama's I've seen have had light coloured fibreglass boards that were attached to the enclosure via plastic standoffs.

puretube

people want to see pics of all of those...  :P