"OT" a new set of "Lollar" pickups :D

Started by MartyMart, June 24, 2005, 05:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

I gave my '94 Jap strat a present yesterday .... a brand new set of
the "vintage strat" lollar pickups  :D
It was only a half hour's work, thay have cables like "boat anchors" !
and sound "full - warm" and generally wonderful.
BD13UK, gave me a tip on wiring the bottom tone pot to the bridge
pickup ( nice touch ) and some pointers to pickup selecion also.
I managed to "borrow" a strat with a set fitted, so i could check them out
before buying them.
Anyway, "Thumbs up" to Lollar  :D

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

petemoore

Cool !!!
 Cheep pickups sound 'fine'...till you compare them to 'nicer' ones.
 Going from Epiphone/Gibson to Dimarzio made a big difference on my LP.
 Getting that guitar wired the way you want makes all the difference.
 I have mine so the Neck Pickup doesn't ever go quite all the way off, also has a HF bypass cap [more treble at 7 compared to 10] on the volume control, and a split coil [HB/~SC] switch was installed.
 Don't forget to try different pickup height adjustments, this can 'eq' the bass to treble balance, and raise/lower output.
 I still want to get a guitar with a 'twanky' pickup on it, something like a Jazzmaster, Rickenbacker, Guild, Tele or Lipstick...I don't know what's what, but would like to have that 'hobo' tone....nice and 'wierd'....'tanky'.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Somicide

while on the topic of new pickups, I picked my guitar up from my local shop yesterday after having my action, intonation, etc done.  BUT I also had my third EMG installed (finally, a complete set!) and it sounds killer!  I love my guitar ^_^

PnL,

Jeff
Peace 'n Love

MartyMart

Quote from: petemooreCool !!!
 Cheep pickups sound 'fine'...till you compare them to 'nicer' ones.
 Going from Epiphone/Gibson to Dimarzio made a big difference on my LP.
 Getting that guitar wired the way you want makes all the difference.
 I have mine so the Neck Pickup doesn't ever go quite all the way off, also has a HF bypass cap [more treble at 7 compared to 10] on the volume control, and a split coil [HB/~SC] switch was installed.
 Don't forget to try different pickup height adjustments, this can 'eq' the bass to treble balance, and raise/lower output.
 I still want to get a guitar with a 'twanky' pickup on it, something like a Jazzmaster, Rickenbacker, Guild, Tele or Lipstick...I don't know what's what, but would like to have that 'hobo' tone....nice and 'wierd'....'tanky'.

Pete,
I have an early ( 1985 ) Jap "Tele" - that hits the "twanky" spot perfectly!
Nice 'n bright, I hear that Fender has re-released the Japanese versions,
I've got to say these pair are very hard to beat ... !!
I wonder what the new versions are like ?
I have the pickups angled up towards the top E at 2mm ( holding down
the 12th fret strings ) and at 4mm bottom E.... seems nicely balanced :D

Cheers,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

casey

Casey Campbell

PB Wilson

Lollar's have been given some great reviews on other forums and I have my eye on some P-90s for a future project. Jason is a really cool guy who posted regularly on MIMF.com when I was hanging out over there. Glad they are working for you. Enjoy!