Orange squeezer build report and pics

Started by LivingDeadPunk, June 25, 2005, 07:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LivingDeadPunk

I had built a lofomofo and a Rangemaster for a friend before and this was actually my first personnal pedal.

I used Tonepad layout and it worked first time I fired it up, after reading Tonepad build reports I decided to use these mods:

Input cap: 0.015 Uf instead of 0.047Uf

Output cap: 1uf film instead of 4.7Uf electro  

IC: OPA2134 instead of 4558

Poping problem, add resistors between output and ground.

The sound is just brilliant, a bluesy compression with a soft overdrive when you crank the volume up.

8)
Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.

Albert Einstein

jimbob

"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Peter Snow

Wow!  Nice finish.  I particularly like the "orange peel" effect as the background :D   The inside looks really neat too.

Peter
Remember - A closed mouth gathers no foot.

chrishopkins

On a related note, does anybody have any ideas on how to create an attack or compression amount control on an OS?

Great Build BTW!

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

Connoisseur of Distortion

very nice. i wish i could make *one* of my builds look as good as these "first builds"  :wink:

nelson

Quote from: chrishopkinsOn a related note, does anybody have any ideas on how to create an attack or compression amount control on an OS?

Great Build BTW!

http://www.auaj24.dsl.pipex.com/os+++V2.pdf

If you do a search for OS+++ there is a thread accompanying the layout.

I did a PCB layout for an OS that has compression and attack controls. Mods are by Mark et al. If you build it please post a build report.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Mihkel

Am I the only one that doesn't see any pics? Not even red X's, just nothing...  :?

bassmeister

That's a really high quality OP you've chosen. Did you try with the original 4558 and weren't satisfied? Do you have an opinion on how much better it gets?

TheBigMan

Looks great.  :D

I've got a vero build in progress, board is done and I just need to drill and finish the enclosure and box it up.  Hope it looks as good as your when it's done.   :wink:

markr04

That's a great design! I'm a fan of the orange peel you went with. There are a lot of creative people in this forum, for sure.
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

LivingDeadPunk

Quote from: bassmeisterThat's a really high quality OP you've chosen. Did you try with the original 4558 and weren't satisfied? Do you have an opinion on how much better it gets?

Hi,

Yes I tried the 4558 and I found it to be quite noisy. It's hard to quantify the improvement apart from the noise level, I can't explain why but I definitely prefer the sound of the OPA2134, it's just the sound I was after.
Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.

Albert Einstein

cab42

Hi LDP

Looks very good.

I am building one at the moment and after your description of the sound it's just what I'm after.

I hadn't thought of experimenting with the Opamp, but now I definitly will.

I was planning to use the orange peel look as well, when it's finished, nice off you to make a prototype ( :) ) so I can see what it looks like.

Regards

Carsten
  • SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn

brett

QuoteAm I the only one that doesn't see any pics? Not even red X's, just nothing...
Nothing. Nil. Zilch.  Hmmmm.... this hasn't happened before....
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)