rangemaster clone...gain works backwards?

Started by emerswin, June 25, 2005, 01:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emerswin

Hi,
I've built two for the rangemaster clones from the GGG website. http://generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/geb_rm_lo_pn.gif They work fine except the gain control work backwards on both units, as in more gain is counter clockwise. I followed the layout in the link exactly, except have added in a on/on toggle switch to choose between two different input caps. I can't imagine that would have any effect on the gain pots function? Any thoughts on where I've gone wrong? I emailed the GGG website to see if he has possibly drawn the layout wrong, but haven't heard back just yet....

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

You have a backwards pot.

All you need to do is reverse pins 1 and 3.

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

aron

Reverse the two outer lugs of the gain pot.

aron

That is the back of the pot. Is that the way you wired it up?

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Actually it DOES seem like the layout is wrong.

Pin 1 should be ground.

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

aron

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

hehe.. funny how we both replied within seconds.

Fp

emerswin

Thanks....so the layout is wrong, for sure? And I should reverse 1 and 3? Just double checking before I fire up the iron...

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

petemoore

What does the pot look like when you say pin 1 ?
 I could never follow...so for ease of description...in the case of a volume control pot, which pin connects to ground?
 I'd like to know for wiring tone controls properly.
 For volume controls, I just turn the volume shaft CCW stop, imagining I have a knob on there pointing to the 'off' lug, and connect that to ground.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

phillip

Quote from: petemooreWhat does the pot look like when you say pin 1 ?
 I could never follow...so for ease of description...in the case of a volume control pot, which pin connects to ground?
 I'd like to know for wiring tone controls properly.
 For volume controls, I just turn the volume shaft CCW stop, imagining I have a knob on there pointing to the 'off' lug, and connect that to ground.
If you're looking inside the pedal (at the backs of the pots), with the solder lugs pointed down, lug 3 is the one on the far left.  Lug 2 is the wiper (center lug), and lug 1 is the one on the far right.

Phillip

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

What he said :)

I always thought it had to be the other way around, but it becomes logical after a while.

petemoore

I was 'just kinda figgerin' it' and would get most of the pots wired 'straight' except the tone pots...it would be 50/50 chances whether I'd have to swap outside lugs...lol.
 Thanks, that clears it up !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

it is common to draw the layout with the pots as you would see them from inside the enclosure.

I have updated some of the pdfs to show a more detailed drawing of the pot.

Fp