effects wire brands...

Started by formerMember1, June 25, 2005, 05:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formerMember1

i am building a treble booster pedal.  I ordered parts off mouser. the question is i ordered belden 22 gauge wire but it was 20$$$

is that alot for wire,since for everything else the total was 17 bucks but now add wire and it jumps to 37 bucks?

i just ordered white i hope that is fine.

does wire affect sound?

thanks

nelson

em, in effects building design cable really makes no difference....$$$$20 is far too much for cable.....unless its a mile long.....
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

ejbasses

i use telephone hookup wire (22gauge) and UTP CAT. 5 network cable(24gauge i think). They are both solid core and are fairly easy to work with. plus they are cheap!

the CAT. 5 cable is pretty popular with audiophiles for  making DIY interconnects
Four Strings To Rule Them All And In The Darkness Bind Them

petemoore

I recycle...and also have a huge spool I got for 3$...it was on the 'dusty' rack...'Dale' said 'buy it, you'll have wire for years'..he was right !
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

formerMember1

but the quality doesn't matter?

i thought the sound would suffer the same way guitar tone suffers from lousey guitar cables?

did i waste my money paying 20$ ? actually 21 and change.

the wire i bought was Mouser Part #: 566-83005-100-09.

anyone care to check it out and give me an opinion would be apprecitated!!

it is stranded single conductor wire.

thanks to those who help the new guy.

ps:that's me.

spudulike

In the UK there are a number of on-line suppliers that do a couple of metres of hook-up wire (I buy the 7 different colour packs) for about £2. Maybe US sites do the same ?

markr04

Quote from: formerMember1but the quality doesn't matter?

did i waste my money paying 20$ ? actually 21 and change.

the wire i bought was Mouser Part #: 566-83005-100-09.

anyone care to check it out and give me an opinion would be apprecitated!!

it is stranded single conductor wire.

thanks to those who help the new guy.

ps:that's me.

Don't sweat it. You didn't waste your money. But you'll find that many online retailers are less expensive than others on one thing, and more expensive on the other. But factor in shipping, and it sometimes makes more sense to buy from fewer stores. Small Bear has fair prices (www.smallbearelec.com), and the owner is said to be quite helpful. I think Mouser has great prices too. Your wire is silver-stranded... that's the only reason I can see for the price difference.

Do you have a Fry's Electronics in PA? If so, there's a good source for wire. I bought my last two rolls from Radio Shack. $5/ea or so.
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

formerMember1

while were talking about that silver stranded wire i bought, could i use that in a warmoth 69 custom strat i built?
thanks...  :?:

markr04

Yes, you can use it in your guitar. But you can also use copper ;). There seems to be a bit of "mojo" or "hype" surrounding the use of silver wire in our applications. In other words, it's unlikely you'll hear any difference. But, it's probably high-quality wire (pliable, etc.), so use it in any guitar or effect that doesn't require shielded wire.

formerMember1

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: ejbassesthe CAT. 5 cable is pretty popular with audiophiles for  making DIY interconnects

That is pretty amusing, because I remember reading a test where various 'audiophile' speaker cables were put aup against ribbon cabe! (wiht alternate wires connected together at both ends). Yeah, ribbon cable less inductance!! plus you can run it under the carpet!!!

markr04

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)

That is pretty amusing, because I remember reading a test where various 'audiophile' speaker cables were put aup against ribbon cabe! (wiht alternate wires connected together at both ends). Yeah, ribbon cable less inductance!! plus you can run it under the carpet!!!

I'm interested in that, Paul. My amps are in my living room, with the wiring from the effects sends and floor effects running under a rug... argh... I just realized it would have to be shielded.

Are you aware of any ribbon cable that is shielded?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

3M (who we are all boycotting because of their heavying 4MS!) make a sheilded ribbon cable sold thru Mouser, but it is UNGODLY EXPEN$IVE!
And who knows what the capacitance is. So I am sorry I dont have any advice there!

petemoore

Small Bear sent me some pre tinned hookup wire, best stuff I've worked with to date.
 I have some garbage that won't really solder well, it'll sorta solder, but it's hard to get it to 'take' the solder, it wants to just 'go around' or roll off.
 Almost any wire will make a good enough connection, the resistance is so infinitacimally small as to be totally inconsequentail....people Do use Silver wire on top shelf high end stuff, maybe I'm missing that there is 'something to it'.
 I think it is just 'elitist marketting mojo' myself.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

formerMember1

well i have radio shack wire left over from when i wired up my warmoth guitar.  I will try using the radio shack wire and the wire i got off mouser(silver wire) and let you know  what the difference was.(if any)
it's be in a week or so when i get the parts off mouser.

Hal

The differance in wires ususally isn't sound, its strength/flexibility, and ease of working with.  I also bought a reel of 4 different color solid copper wire - 22 or 24 gauge (not totaly sure, but fairly thin), $.50 for like 500 feet or something.  I have a bag of wire that I got from stuff like computer monitors (theres a lot in there!)  I _really_ hate to say it, but I think I would call that a waste of money.  I would say that good wire in a nice roll is more convenient than what I have, but its all white....

I mean, it can't be bad to have.  Even though I don't have a lot of money for this kind of stuff, $20 isn't a terrible loss to just forget about.  But I do believe that mouser takes returns....

formerMember1

only thing i am wondering about is how much feet of wire i got.  i don't mind spending 20$ to have quality wire for a long time.  It says on mouser data sheet 100 ft put up. does that me 100 ft roll?

Satch12879

Quote from: formerMember1only thing i am wondering about is how much feet of wire i got.  i don't mind spending 20$ to have quality wire for a long time.  It says on mouser data sheet 100 ft put up. does that me 100 ft roll?

YES! It does say on the catalog page "100ft Spool."

And just for clarity the cable that Belden and Alpha makes that everyone is calling "silver" cable is not "silver" cable at all.  What you are referring to is in fact silver-coated copper hook-up wire.  Actual silver cable is quite a bit more expensive than what you can get from Mouser.  Google "silver cable" if you are interested in purchasing some of the real stuff.
Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com

formerMember1

is silver coated copper good??

it must be better than plain ol copper right?

ejbasses

almost any wire will do, i doubt it if your going to hear a difference. The amps we are using are guitar amps with full range speakers not audiophile, reference quality stuff. Buy stuff that works, telephone hook up wire, Cat5 network cable and even magnet wire are popular choices.
Four Strings To Rule Them All And In The Darkness Bind Them