yet another tubescreamer problem

Started by danwalsh, June 26, 2005, 06:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danwalsh

this is my second build, which puts me squarely in the "newbie" category.  
i know there are lots of similar posts but none was an exact fit to my problem.
i've built a tubescreamer as per the tonepad layout, no modifications.  using a good battery.  when the effect is switched on, there is very little gain (i mean barely audible).  neither the drive nor the tone pots work, although the level does work with what little sound there is.  tested for continuity, seems okay.  my values:

Q1:
C - 8.98
B - 3.34
E - 2.84

Q2:
C - 8.98
B - 3.4
E - 2.87

IC:
1 - 4.42
2 - 4.52
3 - 4.42
4 - 0
5 - 4.42
6 - 4 42
7 - 4.42
8 - 8.91

i did use polarized tants for the .22 uf caps, but i think i've got them right.

any immediate thoughts?
also, my 25K tone pot doesn't turn smoothly, it kind of has "steps", (ten to be exact) as i turn it.  is this normal?  it's an alpha B25K i got from mouser.

thanks so much, this list is great,
dan

BigLloyde

Did you use stripboard to build it?  I had a similar prob with a TS I just built and pulled my hair out for two hours before I discovered that where one of the copper strips was supposed to be broken, I had missed the tiniest sliver of copper.   My gain and tone wouldn't do anything and the level would just barely work.  

Your 25K tone pot sounds like a pot with detent positions, it probably has a purpose somewhere, but not real convenient for a tone pot.
Regards,
BigLloyde

petemoore

The IC looks well biased.
 The emitter follower [NPN Si's I presume] I don't know how to figure the bias for...they always worked for me, I just signal inject [connect my thumb via wire to the base, then emitter] and see if it sounds same/same injected to base and emitter, if so it's probably operating properly.
 and I just check the parts around them if necessary.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

danwalsh

QuoteDid you use stripboard to build it?

nope, i etched a pcb.  but do you recall where your copper was broken?  that might be a good place for me to look.  

also, what should the transistor measurements look like?  do mine look normal?

thanks!

BigLloyde

Actually, it was a short where the copper was supposed to be broken, but I don't remember where, and it's all closed up now. sorry   As far as the transistors go, I have never checked, I should have another one going in a few days and I can check then if this post is still unsolved.    I'm pretty much a nueby myself and not a very learned one at that.
Regards,
BigLloyde

danwalsh

okay, i figured out at least one problem.  i built an audio probe (what a cool thing) and my sound cut out at the last resistor, the 100 ohm before the 10 uf cap before the output.  i had put in a 100k - duh!  seems to be working fine now.  

i still have a problem with my tone pot though.  it doesn't work.  my questions are:

1.  i accidently put a B25K with detented postitions on there.  would that cause it to have no effect?  (a new one is on it's way)

2.  i have a polarized tant .22 cap in the tone section. would the negative lead be the one going to the 220ohm resistor in series with it?  that's how i have it - seems correct.

3.  is it normal to get tons of RF when audio probing?  the thing is obviously not in it's box yet.

thanks!