Compressor for bass?

Started by shawsofhell, June 26, 2005, 10:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawsofhell

A friend of mine wants me to build him a compressor for his bass. Can anyone suggest some good builds? Is it possible to make some cap changes in the Ross compressor to convert it to bass? If so any suggestions for values?

nelson

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

octafish

Lots of info at tonepad re: modding dyna/rosses for bass, check the build reports.
edit: I mispelt bass. "All your bass are belongs to us"
Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

nex_06

Cool, I think I'll build this for my bass too!

Bernardduur

I build the OS V+++ with a bass mod and it sounds wonderfull. Just one little error I wanted to fix once; when the input signal is too high (as in popping and slapping) the compressor goes to zero signal and than comes up again, so you are left with approx. 1.5 seconds of no signal. Maybe someone can fix this?
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

markusw

Although a little more complicated but maybe worth a try: Trace Elliot SMX Dual Compressor. At least good for some ideas. Needs to be modded for true bypass however.

See the last schemo in this file: http://www.britishaudioservice.com/schem/Pedals.pdf

I have it included in my Trace AH250 SMX amp and I'm pretty happy with the sound.

Markus

PS:

Here are the specs:

High pass filter section
Filter type Butterworth
Filter frequency 225Hz
Filter roll off 12dB/octave
Filter damping 1.4

Low pass filter section
Filter type Butterworth
Filter frequency 900Hz
Filter roll off 12dB/octave