Getting more intense 'wah' from ghost dance?

Started by shawsofhell, June 29, 2005, 03:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawsofhell

I built the Ghost DAnce from the circuit snippets site http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/ghostdance.gif. It seems to be very subtle and I was wondering if there is anyway to make the effect more intense?

I checked all my cap and resistor values before putting them in and they were all within about 1%

puretube

don`t load the output too much with a low impedance (?)

gez

As Ton notes, the high output impedance makes inverters a poor choice for wahs.  However, all is not lost!

I built a CMOS inverter fuzz wah once and used a T-filter at the output.  I directly coupled the output of the inverter to the gate of a JFET buffer (drain goes to 9V and source to ground via a 10k resistor), lifted the arm of the filter with the two caps and variable resistance off the inverter's output, and connected it to the source of the JFET instead.  I ran the CMOS chip at 5V so there was no clipping of the JFET as it was run off the full 9V (bypassed the regulator).

As Tim has used a primitive form of regulation here (not a slight I hasten to add), you could probably do the same with this circuit.  Can't guarantee you won't have to tweak a few values, but it's a simple fix and the wah I got was superb (sounds like two cats srapping* with the fuzz kicked in)!

*= fighting (in case of dirty minded!)  :)
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

shawsofhell

so basicly your saying i need a low impedence after the effect? i only tried it straight into the amp so far. Sorry gez but I found your post a little confusing are you basicly saying you put a jfet buffer on the output?

puretube

no: - plug into a high impedance - like a tube amp...

gez

Quote from: shawsofhellSorry gez but I found your post a little confusing are you basicly saying you put a jfet buffer on the output?

More or less, just with a slight twist:

Presumably pin 14 of the CMOS chip will be at a lower voltage than the 9V supply due to the primitive regulation, so it would be unlikely that the JFET would clip.  

The above arrangement gave more quack with my own build and prevented loading.  I dare say you'll have to mess about with values if you try it with Tim's circuit though.  Breadboard and tweak it empirically, see what you think (it's all subjective)...
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

shawsofhell

i already ran it straight into my tube amp? ok i will try your circuit gez, thanks for your help

Eric H

Quote from: gez

*= fighting (in case of dirty minded!)  :)

...hard to tell the difference, with cats. ;)
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

puretube

hey gez: do you happen to know why the 2 series-caps in the twin-t
are different (5n & 1n5)?
(maybe the Q would be too high otherwise?)
(or a typo...?)
And why is the C-member hooked to the left of the input-cap,
and not to the right, like the R-member?

gez

Quote from: puretubehey gez: do you happen to know why the 2 series-caps in the twin-t
are different (5n & 1n5)?
(maybe the Q would be too high otherwise?)
(or a typo...?)

Don't think it's a typo Ton, I've seen unequal cap values in a few schematics.  It would shift the range slightly, and I should think alter the Q, as you suggested.

QuoteAnd why is the C-member hooked to the left of the input-cap,
and not to the right, like the R-member?

No idea!   :)

puretube

tnx!
so I suggest, that Shaw... tries out swapping the left cap to .0015µ for comparison,
and edits the topic of this thread such,
that "ghost dance" appears in capital letters in the title. (UPPER CASE).

this might attract Tim E. ...  :wink: