Suggest me a DIY tube amp

Started by moeburn, June 30, 2005, 08:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moeburn

I just got some money, and I'm looking to convert my existing 26" amp into a tube one.  Can anyone reccomend me a good DIY project for this?  I've been looking at AX84.com and The Real McTube so far.

aaronkessman

i would go straight to a Marshall 18Watt (www.18watt.com) or a Fender Tweed Deluxe. amazing amazing amps.

depends what you want though. high headroom and clean, lotsa dirt, what?

moeburn

If I want the dirt, I've got a homemade TS-808 that I can pump into it.  I'm looking for the clean sound, bluesy, on the low to mid end of the clipping curve.  Something like the sound of Red Hot Chili Peppers.

LP Hovercraft

That Hiwatt clone on AX84 looks pretty interesting.  It would be way cool if they started on some Orange or Matamp stuff.  There's a really cool guy named Bruce Collins here in Colorado who sells 5E3 kits.  //www.missionamps.com  they sound incredible.

moeburn

Ok well I dont have THAT much money :P

I do have enough for the P1 though, i might try that.  Or to just get the sound, i may try tonepad's McTube pcb.

Toney

NeveSSL

Keep in mind that throwing a tube amp together isn't quite like the pedals.  :)  There is A LOT more to consider (ESPECIALLY the 450v plates, not to mention component placement, proper grounding, etc.).  

If this is your first tube amp build, you definitely need to start with a P1X.  It sounds a lot like what you're looking for, anyway.  If you have a lot of tube experience, then you might try a High Octane.  A P1X and a TS-808 sounds like a great combination, and it's one that I have but haven't tried yet (because I just got my TS-808 together last week ;) ).  

Read around on the AX84 board and study hard.  There's A LOT to learn just to get started, and even more to advance.  I'm not trying to scare you, I'm sure you're an electronics lover just like the rest of us, so you'll find it interesting to learn.  Just know that you WILL need to study, especially on grounding, safety, and iron and tube placement for a hum-free amp.  I was fortunate that my first build is BEAUTIFULLY quiet.  Most of all, be safe and have fun!

Brandon

PS  See my website for my build.  I'm definitely not an expert, so if you have any specific questions, you may want to head to AX84's board if you're not there already.  There are some really great guys on that board, much like this one, who can and will help you immensely.  :)

aaronkessman

yes, definitely study up before you even think about ordering parts.

also, check out the kits at www.webervst.com - you'd be hard pressed to make an amp from scratch for the amount those are going for.

once you're more familiar, you could also just build a blackface fender (bass, bandmaster, etc) into your current amp chassis. the bassman is super easy, and you could build only one channel if you wanted.

moeburn

Allright, grounding is definately the one thing I'm not familiar with, because I'm used to just tying all the things that need to be grounded to the ground point.  Apparently you need to use ground rods and then send those to ground?  

Yeah I think I'm gonna do the P1.  I'll buy the tubes online, but I'm pretty sure I can use any old transformer with the same specs as the pricey hammond ones.

aaronkessman

not necessarily. there are several different grounding schemes raning from bus grounding at one end, to star grounding, with partial star grounding in the middle.

in a way it;'s more complex than a pedal, in a way it's less complex. just read up a lot first and you should be fine.

from what i've heard however, i would choose NOT to build the P1 just because for the same amount of complexity you can build a much better amp.

also, my impression is that hammonds are actually on the cheaper side and a definite value in terms of quality of sound. Weber has great great deals on amp parts, as does hoffman. those two are generally much better than say, stuart mac or vibroworld, and their quality is top notch.

when you finally get around to building it, i highly recommend using solid core waxed cloth covered wire (avail. from hoffman) - it stays where you want it and makes amp building much easier! you dont need to strip it, just cut it to size and pull back the cloth. plus, it looks pretty.

NeveSSL

If you already have a cabinet (and I think you mentioned you do), the P1X kits are on sale right now for $172.  Can't beat 'em for a first amp.  They sound GREAT!  

As aaronkessman said, you may be able to find a better amp for about the same range.  You could try a high octane.  I am sure there are others, the P1X and High Octane are AX84 amps.

Keep us posted with whatever you do!

Oh, and the Hammonds are actually good transformers.  Very rugged and under-rated.  I've heard Heyboer's output trannies sound better, or maybe some other brands, but my Hammonds work great.  Good luck!

Brandon

moeburn

In Toronto I can get all the parts (excluding the two transformers) that kit offers for about $60.  Its the two transformers that distract me, I'm thinking I may edit the circuit to use three cheap transformers.

NeveSSL

If you're doing it just to learn, get cheap transformers.  If you're wanting to keep this amp OR sell it, then invest in Hammonds or Heyboer or any quality transformer.  Your tone will suffer from cheaper output transformers.  Just a thought.  :)  If you want to source the Hammonds yourself, www.angela.com has the best prices on them, and you could get them both for probably $70 or $80 I think.

Brandon

Paul Marossy

My vote is for the Octal Fatness.

sir_modulus

Hey...Toronto?

http://www.hammondmfg.com/

I can hook you up with lots of canadian distrobutors in toronto for those things. (they use them in most AX84 amps)

Cheers,

Nish

moeburn

Quote from: sir_modulusHey...Toronto?

http://www.hammondmfg.com/

I can hook you up with lots of canadian distrobutors in toronto for those things. (they use them in most AX84 amps)

Cheers,

Nish

That would be great, Nish!  The main stores I check are Active Surplus and Supremetronics on Queen Street, though i didnt specifically ask they seem to just stock old wall wart transformer parts.  If you know where I can get the hammond tube transformers, that would be awesome.

sir_modulus

http://www.active-tech.ca/b2c/redirect.cfm?pn=2

These guys'll order in any hammond part that exists (like any box, any chassis, any transformer etc....)

Cheers,

Nish