The Who sound great

Started by StephenGiles, July 02, 2005, 05:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

The Who are on now and sound great from Live 8 Hyde Park London
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

The Tone God

We have Jann Arden on at this moment...shoot me now. Atleast we had Jet on before.

Andrew

P.S. Isn't this Lounge material ?

nelson

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

RDV

My cup runneth over.

RDV

puretube

earlier today I saw spkr-cabinets with large monkey-logos on them
what was that ? (IIRC, in Philadelphia...)

nelson

They looked like orange amps with a funny monkey logo on them, I saw them when will smith was asking everyone to click their fingers...
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

formerMember1

yeah pink floyd were great.
anybody got an educated guess on what gilmour was using on his solo's?(numb, and money)
i think he used a fuzzface back in the day but was it probably silicon or ge?
thanks

PS:i never knew that is how he got that solo tone in wish you were here!!
(ya know harmonizing w/his voice.)

puretube

Quote from: nelsonThey looked like orange amps with a funny monkey logo on them, I saw them when will smith was asking everyone to click their fingers...

exact - followed by the black-eyed peas...

cd

Quote from: formerMember1anybody got an educated guess on what gilmour was using on his solo's?(numb, and money)
i think he used a fuzzface back in the day but was it probably silicon or ge?
thanks

PS:i never knew that is how he got that solo tone in wish you were here!!
(ya know harmonizing w/his voice.)

http://www.mikesguitarsite.co.uk/gear/pink_floyd/

jmusser

I know it's odd, but I never was much of a Who or Floyd fan. Everyone always loved Led Zeppelin, but I could never put up with Plant's "singing" long enough to really enjoy what Paige was doing. I always liked Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Johnny Winter, Chicago, The Doors and the worlds best group ever, "The Guess Who". Plant couldn't hold Burt Cumming's mic stand! I never owned a Who or Floyd album, and maybe one Zeppelin album, because I knew where to lift the needle at, so I could hear Paige play. Overall talent wise, The Beatles, and Queen still reign supreme in my book. I loved a lot of the 60s music, even though that's not what I grew up with. The Dave Clark Five, The Kinks, The Hollies, Herman's Hermits, and that type of stuff. I'm sure why I brought all this up, but I guess because I hear The Who, Floyd, and Zeppelin, (along with Hendrix) brought up all the time, and I don't get it. Hendrix played a lot of interesting stuff, and gave us tones and textures we had never heard before, but he also played some crap, and couldn't sing a note. Ok, let the beatings begin!
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

nelson

I am gonna beat yoru skull in with a rusty IRON bar mother fudger!

:twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

nah, just kidding, you are entitled to your opinion. I think Black Sabbath are probably the best of the bands you mentioned.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

formerMember1

yeah but that is what the greatness of it was.  Hendrix was so charasmatic that he couldn't put up with a front man in HIS band. Hendrix couldn't hit a note but somehow he just pulled it all together.  many think they could play hendrix's music. but then you see someone really play it and you go ,i thought i knew how to do that.

One thing i'll agree on is sometimes in the studio plant would take away from page. I like their live stuff better on some.

correct me if i am wrong everyone.

formerMember1

oh by the way
thanks cd for The Link To Gilmour :D

jmusser

There is no denying Hendrix's greatness, he gave us an awful lot that we're STILL trying to figure out. I enjoy listening to probably a good 85% of everything he played, and respect the other 15%. Itwouldn't have been the same with another front man, but It sure was hard to listen to sometimes to get to the guitar parts!
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

spudulike

Quote from: formerMember1oh by the way
thanks cd for The Link To Gilmour :D

... except tonight DG used a completely black strat that I havent seen him use before. And it didnt sound that good ...

formerMember1

jmusser now that i think about it your right there were those times

formerMember1

well i  thought it sounded better than any of the music tones out there now
i think youll agree :twisted:

davebungo

Sounded great to me and didn't they looked relaxed.  It must be nice to have all that space instead of being cramped in a corner next to a pool table.

formerMember1

vanhansen

Quote from: StephenGilesThe Who are on now and sound great from Live 8 Hyde Park London
Stephen

I agree.  I saw some of their performance.  Really good.  I actually got choked up seeing it (now I'm about to sound like a panzee).  See, it's the first time I've seen them perform since Entwistle passed away.  Even though they sounded great, and the bass was there, whoever that kid is...wow, I still was looking for John over there in is calm demeanor just twiddling away solidifying the rhythm section, but that wasn't going to be. That's when it got me. My wife asked why I was tearing up and I just told her, "It's not the same. Something's missing." I still loved the performance and I believe John would want them to continue to perform anyway.

I'm p*ssed that I missed Pink Floyd.  I was looking forward to that. GUH!!!
Erik