The Who sound great

Started by StephenGiles, July 02, 2005, 05:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

........but Paul McCartney + band won hands down, sad that George Michael had to appear with him. I never did like Pink Floyd, Annie Lennox was superb.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

sovtek50

Quote from: jmusserI know it's odd, but I never was much of a Who or Floyd fan.

Yes, it is. Especially when it comes down to The Who, who changed their sound a couple of times over the history of Rock (with Moon on the drums). And let's not forget, it was Pete Townshend who gave us Feedback and Distortion. Otherwise you wouldn't be here today, sucker! :twisted:  :wink:
A circuit a day keeps the therapist away.

d95err

Quote from: sovtek50And let's not forget, it was Pete Townshend who gave us Feedback and Distortion.

...and, perhaps even more important, he invented tennis-swing guitar strumming!  :D

BTW, anyone catch a glimpse of what effects Pete was using except his fingers, the knobs onhis Strat, and a stack of Fenders? I caught a glimpse of about 4 stompboxes, inluding possibly a BOSS distortion pedal of some kind.

mudmen

Quote from: formerMember1yeah pink floyd were great.
anybody got an educated guess on what gilmour was using on his solo's?(numb, and money)
i think he used a fuzzface back in the day but was it probably silicon or ge?
thanks

Gilmour used Cornish pedalboard,  Hiwatt heads, 2 4x12 cabinets (WEM & Marshall) and Stratocaster which was used during the 'Animals' and 'The Wall' tours.

I think that during the Comfortably Numb he used Big Muff, Boss CE-2 and delay. Tone in Money sounds different, more like FF so I suppose that he used Big Muff and Tube Driver or SS-2 and of course delay...
David Gilmour :: Gear Forum
http://www.davidgilmour.pq.pl

StephenGiles

Just watched some more that my wife managed to video, Velvet whatnots were dire, Sting was superb, Scissor Sisters  quite nice - you know good clean youngsters. What annoyed me was the switching of transmission from BBC2 to BBC1 because of sodding Wimbledon - yes I hate tennis, or tinnis as many commentators pronounce it!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

StephenGiles

Mark PM me your address and I'll send you a copy of the J Kidd & the Pirates CD I have, there is a mund of great stuff in there, especially the Pirates' single from 1964, My Babe - the original power trio!!!
Stephen

Peter Snow

QuoteI always liked Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Johnny Winter, Chicago, The Doors and the worlds best group ever, "The Guess Who". Plant couldn't hold Burt Cumming's mic stand! I never owned a Who or Floyd album, and maybe one Zeppelin album, because I knew where to lift the needle at, so I could hear Paige play.

Hi Jeff,

We had Randy Bachman and Deep Purple on the Canadian show.  Steve Morse was great!

Can anyone tell me - I caught a quick glimpse of DMC and it looked like Gary Dourdan (CSI) was in the lineup.  I know he is an accomplished musician but I was not sure if it really was him or just someone who looked like him??

Peter
Remember - A closed mouth gathers no foot.

formerMember1

i taped the who,
watching it this morning,what was that extra knob behind his bridge? when he turned it it sounded just like a volume knob.

if you have it taped it was during, "we don't get fooled again"
i don't know if it is on the other songs.

RDV

Quote from: formerMember1i taped the who,
watching it this morning,what was that extra knob behind his bridge? when he turned it it sounded just like a volume knob.

if you have it taped it was during, "we don't get fooled again"
i don't know if it is on the other songs.
It controls a Fishman Powerbridge piezo pickup, a little something he picked up from Gilmour.

RDV

formerMember1

oh cool thanks for the info :D

Johnny Guitar

There's a page somewhere which documents all The Who gear for all periods pretty exhaustively. I think he's currently using a MXR Dynacomp as well as a couple of Boss things (I want to say an OD 1, is that right?).

I missed The Who  :cry: and would've liked to see them, but I did see Pink Floyd and thought they were OK considering the circumstances, and I actually liked Gilmour's tone.

Jmusser, I'm reluctant to "reccomend" an album by The Who to try to convince you that they may be worth a bit more attention than you think, but I would say that if you haven't heard Live at Leeds (especially the remastered single CD version from about 95) you might give that a listen before you write them off.

As an aspiring hard rock guitar player in the mid seventies my favorite live albums were Live at Leeds, Johnny Winter And Live, Deep Purple Made in Japan. If you were into live rock about to fall into chaos, those were pretty high bench marks.

I'm of two minds about your Hendrix comments. I think a lot of guitar fan baby boomers (and their progeny) revere Hendrix in a God like way -- he could do no wrong. I like to point out (civily) that in his live shows there were often lots of mistakes, he was out of tune a lot, and things often fell into an ugly chaos.

That said, I buy pretty much anything that comes out. His singing rarely bothered me on records or live (more than his out of tune guitar), and IMHO Axis Bold as Love is as close to a perfect album as anyone has made or will make.

WGTP

I've love  the "Comfortably Numb" strat solo sound and always wondered if it was the middle pickup.  It looked like to me it was.  I think the middle pickup is under utilized and appreciated.   8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

vanhansen

Quote from: Johnny Guitar
Jmusser, I'm reluctant to "reccomend" an album by The Who to try to convince you that they may be worth a bit more attention than you think, but I would say that if you haven't heard Live at Leeds (especially the remastered single CD version from about 95) you might give that a listen before you write them off.

+100 on Live at Leeds.  HIGHLY recommended for a good taste of The Who.

Quote from: Johnny Guitar
I'm of two minds about your Hendrix comments. I think a lot of guitar fan baby boomers (and their progeny) revere Hendrix in a God like way -- he could do no wrong. I like to point out (civily) that in his live shows there were often lots of mistakes, he was out of tune a lot, and things often fell into an ugly chaos.

But nobody could play an out of tune note like he could.  He just made it work.
Erik