|HOME| |DIY FAQ| |GEO FAQ| |Debugging Page| |Links| |Schematics| |Wiki| |Layouts Gallery| |STORE|
|AMPAGE| |GEOFEX| |AMZ|

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 09:09:53 AM
961389 Posts in 102764 Topics by 32430 Members
Latest Member: Akin
Home Help Login Register
DIYstompboxes.com  |  Projects  |  Beginner Project  |  It sounds terrible. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It sounds terrible.  (Read 2488 times)
moeburn

It sounds terrible.
« on: July 02, 2005, 05:32:19 PM »

I plug in my guitar, the light goes on fine, nice and bright.  No noise at all.  When I play something, it sounds absolutely terrible, like someone is slapping the strings on the pickups.  

If I turn the volume on my guitar all the way up, there is no sound on the output.  If i turn my guitar all the way down, there is obviously no output.  I only get output with the volume in the middle, and it sounds pretty bad there.  The volume control on the booster works just like it should, it makes the crappy sound louder or quieter.

What should I do to fix this?
H4T

It sounds terrible.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 05:59:42 PM »

When the effect is bypassed (ie, not on), does a clean signal get through?

I'm guessing you've got a problem with your transistor. I fried quite a few myself before I got it right, lol.
moeburn

It sounds terrible.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 06:29:06 PM »

Quote from: H4T
When the effect is bypassed (ie, not on), does a clean signal get through?

I'm guessing you've got a problem with your transistor. I fried quite a few myself before I got it right, lol.

I didnt make the bypass, but when I plug the guitar right into the amp, it sounds fine.
H4T

It sounds terrible.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 07:22:14 PM »

Well, of course check all your solder joints, make sure everything looks like it should in the pictures aron provided. Most likely though I'm guessing theres something with the transistor, since that is the important part of the pedal, lol.

Make sure when you put the transistor in, its either just placed in the sockets, or attach a heatsink before you solder. Good luck.
moeburn

It sounds terrible.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 07:25:24 PM »

Quote from: H4T
Well, of course check all your solder joints, make sure everything looks like it should in the pictures aron provided. Most likely though I'm guessing theres something with the transistor, since that is the important part of the pedal, lol.

Make sure when you put the transistor in, its either just placed in the sockets, or attach a heatsink before you solder. Good luck.

I'm using a socket.  All my soldering looks good, I don't see any shorts.  I tried a few different transistors in the socket, in the correct pinouts:
2n5088 - My current, the one that sounds crappy.
2n2222 - Sounds even worse.
2n5457 - Sounds great!  But so quiet I can't hear it.
2sc1815 - Also sounds great, also far too quiet.

What voltages should I see on the transistor pins?
aron
Administrator

Aron Nelson

It sounds terrible.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 02:18:31 PM »

Can you tell us your voltages and please post pics of the top and bottom of your board.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: