Input attenuation and High end rollof

Started by Storing!, July 03, 2005, 10:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Storing!

Hi

I build a dual phasor which has a phase90 and a phase45 aboard. It has teh possibility to use either or both (especially both is great).
The problem with these phasors is that they have a tendancy to distort, especially with hotter pickups. So my Les Paul when hit hard drives it into distortion. The idea I had to avoid this is to attenuate the input, put a small booster at the output.

The output booster is no problem. Attenuating teh input is. I thought I use a pot to ground, just as the guitar volume control. To my chagrin, this takes away the high end sparkle of the guitar.

The quetsion.. does anybody have a clean simple way to attenuate a guitar signal without loosing highs. It doesn't have to be passive.

any help is appreciated ;)

Thanks, Eric
Eric

octafish

Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

octafish

A smallish cap included in the mix should help retain highs. It should go across two of the pot lugs. Search this forum for "volume pedal" I seem to remember a wiring diagram from a previous thread. Sorry I can't be more specific.
Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

petemoore

Quote from: Storing!Hi

I build a dual phasor which has a phase90 and a phase45 aboard. It has teh possibility to use either or both (especially both is great).
The problem with these phasors is that they have a tendancy to distort, especially with hotter pickups. So my Les Paul when hit hard drives it into distortion. The idea I had to avoid this is to attenuate the input, put a small booster at the output.

The output booster is no problem. Attenuating teh input is. I thought I use a pot to ground, just as the guitar volume control. To my chagrin, this takes away the high end sparkle of the guitar.

The quetsion.. does anybody have a clean simple way to attenuate a guitar signal without loosing highs. It doesn't have to be passive.

any help is appreciated ;)

Thanks, Eric
Try a small cap across the pots circuit path lugs, experiment around 100pf?
 This will let more highs in [amount of, compared to lower freqs with knob at full] as you turn it down and it attenuates.
 At full volume no difference because theres a direct connect through the pot, as resistance is increased [as the pot is used to attenuate] toward less that CW rotation, the cap allows highs to pass unattenuated, or provides a low resistance path for high mids.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.