Pedal painting / decoration - my entry

Started by ethrbunny, July 03, 2005, 06:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethrbunny

Did I get carried away? Maybe. My bride turned me on to 'paint pens' at the local craft store. No turning back now.

--- Dharma Desired
"Life on the steep part of the learning curve"

nelson

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Paul Marossy

petemoore

>>And matching Cables !!!
 'Flower Power  :)
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

MartyMart

That's cool !
...... I can smell the patchouli oil and joss sticks ........

PEACE AND LOVE

Marty. :wink:
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Mihkel

Are those the pens that you apply and cook afterwards? Meant for writing on cups and stuff..

ethrbunny

QuoteAre those the pens that you apply and cook afterwards? Meant for writing on cups and stuff..

Cook? errr.. perhaps.. but I didn't. They were well dried in just a few minutes and the whole thing was sprayed with a clear coat. Maybe if you were writing on ceramic it would need to be cooked. Primed metal seems a bit more forgiving.
--- Dharma Desired

formerMember1

hey did you write on a paint then clear coat over?
or did you write on a coat of clear than clear again?

looks unique! cool

ethrbunny

--- Dharma Desired

grs149

Thanks for posting this example. I recently completed a BSIAB build, and have been contemplating box finishing options. Your paint pen solution may win the day for me!

Greg

ethrbunny

If nothing else its certainly easy enough to paint over...Ive done it a few times. I was using auto paint pens..bleah.. I can still use the paint brushes on those but forget the ball point part now.
--- Dharma Desired

bigjonny

Cool finish!  I've a simliar process, I am sure has been mentioned, but I'll mention anyway, in case it helps.

I've been playing around with those same paint pens (some gal turned me on to 'em, too), but I always missed the "feel" of writing with a Sharpie, since I've used Sharpies -- profesionally and personally -- for years and years.  If I pause too long on these projects, they never get done, so to keep my building process moving along, I eventually went with what helps me work quickest:  I only use bright paint and Sharpies, nowadays.  Even Sharpie on metal works, as shown below!  I can therefore prime and paint one day; Sharpie and Clear Coat the next, devoting minimal attention (20 minutes?) to the project each day.

CAUTION: When clear coating after Sharpie-ing, you must put on the first layer or two or three very thin, otherwise the Sharpie will bleed.

Here's a build I did this weekend, as an example...  I'm gonna post a build report later, but I'm still testing this pedal...

Paul Marossy

bigjonny-

Now that is the first Sharpie lettering on a stompbox I have seen that looks really cool!  I would have never tried it because my first thought is that it would run all over the place. Your enclosure there shows that it can be done. 8)

bigjonny

Quote from: Paul MarossyNow that is the first Sharpie lettering on a stompbox I have seen that looks really cool!  I would have never tried it because my first thought is that it would run all over the place. Your enclosure there shows that it can be done. 8)
Thx Paul, and you're right... It does run all over the place if you don't put the clear coat on light.  The above is the result after trial and error.  My 1st attempt at this, I painted on the polyurethane, rather than using a spray can -- big disaster.  Gotta be spray, and its gotta be a "dusting", if you will, until you can get that Sharpie sealed in place...  Spray a thin coat, walk away for 30 minutes, come back, spray again... etc.

Paul Marossy

bigjonny-

Delicate process, but the end result is nice.  8)

NaBo

Hum... I asked about paint pens a while back... I'm not handy with a brush.  Would you mind sharing the finer details of the ones you used?  They're what-based?  What brand?  etc.?

Oh... and- very purdy.  8)