Perfing a Superfuzz(with samples) & Mod

Started by RDV, January 09, 2005, 01:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDV

Quote from: Mark HammerWell I suppose you *could, though I don't find it appealing, personally.  One thing you could do is simply use a pot to isolate the cap to ground FROM ground.  In other words, as the resistance between the .1uf cap and ground gets bigger, there is less bleed of mids through the notch filter so that it sounds more "normal" and has less scoop.
You were right as usual, the blend kinda sucked, I like it better with a switch.

RDV

Dragonfly

Quote from: RDVTry right clicking then 'save target as'. They're large files. I got carried away.

RDV

i'll try that tonite when i get home...

GreenEye

Sounds pretty much like the one I had awhile back.  Death in a pedal.  Pretty amazing you perfed that circuit.

Kleber AG

RDV, that notch sample got me.

Could you point me to the schematic you used? Please :P

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Kleber AG

RDV

Kleber AG

:P  Thanks, wish to have some time soon to perf it!!!  :P

petemoore

That's the good schem, watch out and don't use the one at Koviak, the 22k and 100k's in the FWR resistors are mixed up, instead of being lazy and asking, I decided to search...then got to debugging it for a couple days, RG caught it and helped me straighten it out...Whew !!!
 If sounding 'wrong is right' to you this is one you shouldn't miss trying this out!!! Reminds me of the howl of an electrical fire I experienced as a child in Pakistan. 220v crackling and arcing...then Nazee threw a pitcher of water on it !!!...Noooooo...lol...I guess they didn't use circuit breakers...the arcing had to burn itself through the heavy duty wire/fire before the noise stopped...reminds me of that....scary, ominous, and evil sounding...like the SuperFuzz !
 I tried "Rust Never Sleeps"...it nails the rythm...'out of the blue into the black'.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Dan N

Sounds great! Very harsh. Did you use silicon diodes? Try lifting the diodes for another flavor.

My best radio reciever is a germanium treble booster with my Dunlop wah as a close second.

RDV

Quote from: Dan NSounds great! Very harsh. Did you use silicon diodes? Try lifting the diodes for another flavor. My best radio reciever is a germanium treble booster with my Dunlop wah as a close second.
Geranium for the diodes. It was doing all kinds of strange things that it's not doing now, like a gated hum that would fade in with the note, then fade away. It stopped that, and now it's not quite as harsh. It's still harsh, just not as harsh.

RDV

stuartgsmith

I love the SuperFuzz! I built mine on a RadioShack 'project board' -- like stripboard, but layed out like a breadboard.  Stuck it in an old 'Vintage' Rat box.

One of my favorite tricks is to play a fourth, like G at 12th fret of the 3rd string and C at the 13th fret of the 2nd string and bend the G up.  The low octave note actually goes DOWN in pitch as I bend the G up. Weird.

RDV

I boxed up the wretched thing today. Boy is it nasty. It sounds different every time I plug it in. I'm glad I built this cause my Shin-Ei one won't go much above unity gain whereas this one will really boost like mad. I guess it's cause I used a MPSA18 in the last stage.

RDV

RDV

crp

RDV

ustompsteve

If you use Germanium diodes the gain is normal for a Fuzz pedal. If you use Si you will get crazy amounts of gain out of it.

I have tried both.

I have a build for it at http://ustomp.com

--steve

RDV

wui223

can somebody post the voltage reading at each 2N2222A coz mine didnt work rite please....