Tonepad GT2 VS Behringer GDI21 (Battle of the clones)

Started by Guga Ramone, July 08, 2005, 12:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guga Ramone

Hi everybody!

I have a Tonepad SinAmp (SansAmp GT2 clone) and a friend of mine bought this new Behringer pedal that seems to be another clone of the GT2. But the Behringer BLOWS the Tonepad away! There are more bass, the highs are less harsh and more focused and the mids are more tight that the Tonepad pedal. What could this be? Is the Tonepad an exactly copy of the SansAmp? Is the Behringer an exact copy of the SansAmp? What can I do to make the Tonepad sounds like the Behringer? BTW, the Behringer is all SMD...

Thanks!!

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

I saw the behringer one online, I found it amusing.

There are NO tonepad pedals, only pedals people make using the tonepad pcb designs and information. :?

The only difference is (if you read the build reports) the use of a rail to rail opamp instead of the tl072.

Why don't you open the behringer up and take some high resolution pictures and find out if they are the same :)

Fp

ps: I'm considering buying a behringer, just to skip all the soldering!
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

Khas Evets

What led you to believe that the Behringer pedal is a San Amp copy? It looks like a digital moddler to me.

petemoore

But the Behringer BLOWS the Tonepad away.
 [         ].
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Hehehe..

(edit: Late reaction!... I don't know what my pedals do to each other in private! hahahaha)

I have gotten some emails of people wanting to buy a Tonepad brand pedal... Maybe I'll grant a license to somebody so we can get as rich as Behringer :)

Fp :lol:
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

petemoore

I know I'd like to be blown away by a clone.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Gilles C

I didn"t find any english report about the Berhinger GT2 clone, but from this page,

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/news/index%2Cid_news%2C54855.html

it is supposed to be an enhanced version of the GT2, at least because they added a cab simulator.  Maybe that's why.

I know some people on this forum don't like the Berhinger products, but I own and used their DI box and their guitar preamp live, and was always satisfied with the sound of these boxes.

The only downside from a DIY point of view is that can't be cloned easily because they use SMT parts, and they seem to use modeling for their sound simulations.

That's the MIC200

http://www.finitesite.com/gtechblues/photos/MIC200.jpg

But it's ok for me right now because I don't have the time these days to build new boxes, so I can have a sound that I like at a fair price.

You have to know when to buy and when to build...

Gilles

Guga Ramone

Quote from: Khas EvetsWhat led you to believe that the Behringer pedal is a San Amp copy? It looks like a digital moddler to me.

No, it`s analog. There`s two TL074 and 4558 in there. And, if I`m not wrong, in their website was the info that their pedal was based on the GT2. But it really could be a modded GT2.

BTW, I`d skip the malicious comments...

Thanks for the help.

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

I do believe it's a sans amp clone, it'd be very cheap to clone doing it smd.

As I said, take your friend's behringer clone and open it up. Compare, and post the results, at least then we'd know.

Ah, and try using those ICs in your build. The Sans amp relies on the opamps themselves clipping, so that's how it gets its distortion... if there's any circuit that opamp type makes a difference this is it.

Fp

Guga Ramone

Quote from: Fp-www.Tonepad.com...and try using those ICs in your build. The Sans amp relies on the opamps themselves clipping, so that's how it gets its distortion... if there's any circuit that opamp type makes a difference this is it.

Fp

But the IC`s would make that difference in the EQ that I related before? Because in the distortion I can barely hear any difference between them. It`s more on the equalization...

And I will have to wait 3 months to grab the Behringer and open in up to take a close look at it, as it is on the garanty period yet.

Thanks, Francisco!

pyrotek

It is indeed a Sans Amp GT2 clone but with some modification and they have added an XLR output with a Ground Lift switch.

12afael

the cab sim only have a 5 order low pass filter, with a better filter you can improve the  sound. I always cut high on my records and it sound more real , less hiss.
the sansamp classic have a 6 order filter if I remember well.

markr04

Quote from: Guga Ramone

BTW, I`d skip the malicious comments...

Thanks for the help.

The thought of modding a DIY design to sound more like a Behringer is funny. It reminds me of a review I read one time (paraphrased): "I played through a Dumble and a Framus. I bought the Framus because it did the Dumble tone better."

I found your post to be a bit harsh and critical. Comparing almost anything to  Behringer is usually unfair to Behringer... but saying the B-word is better is outright disrespectful :lol:. I was kidding about the last part, but harsh comparisons of contributors' designs in the DIY community will likely be met with malicious comments.

Welcome to the forum. There are some very bright folks here and you'll learn a lot!
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

QuoteThe thought of modding a DIY design to sound more like a Behringer is funny

Maybe it's a case of cheap manufacture improving tone :lol:

nelson

I can see how SMD could improve signal to noise ratio....but not that it can improve "tone". I have never built the GT2 from tonepad, not much need for it, however it seems rather strange to me how a behringer with "probably" inferior build quality if you are a decent DIYer can make a better "tone"  to exact specs of the original.

"buggeringer"
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

nelson

Sorry, I underestimated your self confidence...... :lol:

nah, Just kidding, keep doing what your doing Francisco. Tonepad is the site that got me interested in DIY effects The "La Rata" was my first build (havent been doing pedals for long).

PS, I dont suppose you have a clone of the EH Clone Theory in the works (remember I sent you the Schem, Any questions?).

I designed a layout myself, will be testing it soon(posted it here).

Sorry to be off topic(hijack).

Muchos respect.

Paul Nelson
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Guga Ramone

Quote from: markr04

The thought of modding a DIY design to sound more like a Behringer is funny. It reminds me of a review I read one time (paraphrased): "I played through a Dumble and a Framus. I bought the Framus because it did the Dumble tone better."

I found your post to be a bit harsh and critical. Comparing almost anything to  Behringer is usually unfair to Behringer... but saying the B-word is better is outright disrespectful :lol:. I was kidding about the last part, but harsh comparisons of contributors' designs in the DIY community will likely be met with malicious comments.

Welcome to the forum. There are some very bright folks here and you'll learn a lot!

Sorry for my first post on this topic. I wasn't meant to be harsh...  :(  And I didn't try to disrespect the tonepad work in anyway, because that website simply rule!! I'm gonna think better on my coments before I post them here.

Thanks for the welcome!  :D

But returning to the electronics world: Does anyone knows what are those modifications that behringer made to their pedal?

Thanks guys!

Mark Hammer

I'm not sure how the "X blows away Y" comparison came about, but I caution everyone to be conservative in their comparisons between products based on soundfiles.  Unless one is in a position to A/B a pair of pedals live, with full knowledge of how to set them up right, it is quite easy to mistake a 2nd rate soundfile recording for a 2nd rate product.

Works the other way too.  Clay Jones recently sent me a recording he did after building a pedal using my Rosey-Ray schematic (I forgot to send what I promised, Clay.  I'll get on it.  Sorry.) .  His recording kicked the ass off anything I was able to get with the same design.  Not to say it was a bad design to start with, but you can fail to showcase the best attributes of a good product and conversely tart up the most mundane of things too.  The differences between what Behringer is putting out and what is feasible using the tonepad info may be slim to negligible once all the quirks of soundfiles, mic'ing etc., are partialled out.

Guga Ramone

Quote from: Mark HammerI'm not sure how the "X blows away Y" comparison came about, but I caution everyone to be conservative in their comparisons between products based on soundfiles.  Unless one is in a position to A/B a pair of pedals live, with full knowledge of how to set them up right, it is quite easy to mistake a 2nd rate soundfile recording for a 2nd rate product.

I was not based on soundfiles comparison... I was playing with both pedals in front of me... Again, sorry for the harsh comparison...  :(