Red Llama clip added

Started by MartyB, July 09, 2005, 11:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyB

It's a zipfile of a .wav clip - down just above the last image:

http://www.freewebs.com/martyb/redllamacmos.htm

darkseid

Ah!  I was wondering what the redllama sounded like... Very nice sounding Marty, that  song fits the tone very well

I need to learn how to make a pretty circuit board like the one on that page....:)   just bought 100 of those black plastic  1/4" stereo jacks.. they work very well so far.

Paul Marossy

Yep, that's pretty much how mine sounds. It's a different animal than my 3-legged dog, no pun intended.  :wink:

BTW, MartyB, did you build that Twang-O-Matic thing on your site? It looks interesting, but I would really like to hear how it sounds.

mrsage

What op amp did you use for that?

I know it's a 4049UBE...but what brand or whatever?

MartyB

41D2FNM  CD4049UBE  Texas Instruments

HTH
MartyB

MartyMart

MartyB,
can you tell me which layout/schem you used ?
Was it Dragonfly's vero version .....
I have not found one that "works" as yet ....  :cry:
Thanks,

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

MartyB

Here's the schematic, and a veroboard layout:

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/SteveC/llama2

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album19/WH_RED_LLAMA

The layout on my link,

http://www.freewebs.com/martyb/redllamacmos.htm

is my own but there is another by Michael Allen - can't remember where I got it.  His schem is the same. My layout worked for Paul Marossy and I.  Are you doing your own etching?  This build is small enough breadboarding would be fairly straightforward.

HTH
8)

MartyMart

Thanks Marty, much appreciated !
I had built the Dragonfly veroboard version, which seems simple enough
but it just didn't work at all !!
I'll make a new vero-layout from your's/schemo  :D

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

lowstar

hey marty,
i built the dragonfly version just 3 days ago and it worked flawlessly on first fireup...definetely nothing wrong with that layout!
cheers,
lowstar
effects built counter: stopped counting at 100

MartyMart

Quote from: lowstarhey marty,
i built the dragonfly version just 3 days ago and it worked flawlessly on first fireup...definetely nothing wrong with that layout!
cheers,
lowstar

Great,
I'll go back and check over it  !!
Perhaps I made a mistake somewhere ......

Marty.

MartyB

Quote from: Paul Marossy
BTW, MartyB, did you build that Twang-O-Matic thing on your site? It looks interesting, but I would really like to hear how it sounds.

With 2n3391's (instead of 3394's as indicated) its just a treble boost - very C&W kinda/sorta like a twin reverb.  Its claim to make the guitar sound like a mandolin is probably hype but I never tried the original trannies.  IIRC I posted it because it was kind of hidden away somewhere on the net, and bc it was an easy build/layout.  I'm sure ther are cooler projects higher on the 'build' list.

Paul Marossy

Here's mine, I finished it last night. The enclosure is an LMB Heeger die cast, very similar to the Hammond 1590B. I can't really get a good picture of it with my crummy camera, but it's a red with a metallic gold overspray. It looks a little better in real life.

Sam

Sounds great!

What kind of amp was used recording the clip?
"Where's the paper bag that holds the liquor?
Just in case I feel the need to puke." - Silver Jews

MartyB

Sweet build Paul! 8)

Sam, the amp is a Crate Vintage 20 gain on 1, level on 3, and alittle reverb.  My SF Vibrochamp is acting up, so I used the Crate. (BTW this amp is maybe the best buy for the tone and bucks in a small tube amp I've ever come across).

MartyB

chokeyou

hey martyB with the volume on the pedal all the way up and gain up there too, do you get a crazy amount of motorboating? im curious if my preamp tubes in my bassman are shot, I think they are anyways. I did have to change 2 cap values, i accidentally ordered those ITTY BITTY caps from mouser...in fact in one of the little bags, i couldnt even find 2 of them for a few minutes. anyways, i had to change a few values to parts i had...only by a few picofarads 51pF to 68pF and 100pF to 150pF. it has a sweet spot, but im trying to get more out of this circuit, any ideas?

puretube

choke: which layout are you using?

chokeyou

i actually was working off of MartyB's layout

puretube

maybe twisting the respective pot`s wires, keeping each pot away from the other,
and twisting in/out jack`s signal wires with their respective groundwires
can help.

Or you have a small groundloop cause both jacks are grounded by wire to the PCB, and interconnected via the chassis?

chokeyou

its not in a chassis at the moment, i have the circuit perfboarded and plugged the component leads off the perfboard into my breadboard where i connected the in/out jacks. the pots are soldered onto those leads, everything is spaced and not touching, ground is fine and all of that. the circuit works, it works well at low volume (1/3 pot rotation and lower) anything over that and my amp acts overloaded. then again, i like my bassman with the eq on 10 all the way across including pre volume (this is a master volume version). I'm guessing my preamp tubes are on thier last leg, though no other pedals have given me this much fat, farty noises. perhaps its just the pedal, either way...I'm gonna go get some pre tubes in the AM, which it is now...so i should go to bed. fun little circuit though, I need to get my new tubes and turn my amp up tomorrow to try it out properly, I'll keep you fellows posted, and perhaps upload a clip tomorrow.