"Sounds Like Recorded" pedal?

Started by Connoisseur of Distortion, July 10, 2005, 04:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Connoisseur of Distortion

i'm not really sure if this has been covered, because throwing recording into the search engine will do you zero good.

Is there a pedal that can make my signal sound recorded? I recently discovered that while i really do love the Mesa-y sound my amp throws out, it sounds much better when it's recorded!

In my recent trip to a music shop, i also decided that the mesa sounds better recorded, too.

I don't exactly know how to describe the sound, except that it sounds "flatter", and that the crunch seems to be thicker and in a different range...

are there any pedals that can do this?

nelson

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

H4T

I believe you are talking about a compressor. Sorry if I'm not explaining it perfectly, but its my understanding that compressors level out the dynamics of the guitar signal, resulting in a smoother tone, as well as longer sustain.

This is similar to what recording can do; it can cut out some of the dynamics in the signal, resulting in the same sorts of stuff happening.

*crosses fingers* I hope I got this one right, lol. If so, check out the Orange Squeezer, I hear its great; search for the Orange Squeezer +++, I'm working on it atm, waiting for parts and such. Good luck!

sir_modulus

Recorded...how? My little practice amp just has direct out, so by that you mean hearing more preamp dist. and also not having the highs as loud, and having the bass cut (as the speaker normally adds some).

Cheers,

Nish

Transmogrifox

Get a Line6 :twisted:

I think your best bet would be to do what Matchbox 20 does:

They had some insulated boxes made  that contain their cabinets.  Mics are place in these sound proof damped cabs and then they get that signal feed through their monitors.  Reduces stage noise.  

I have never heard of a commercially made pedal that does this.  The thing that makes this hard is that all the processing that makes the Mesa sound the way it does recorded is done to the signal after it is out of the amp.  I don't think it's possible to make a pedal that plugs into the input of the amp that can compete with the nonlinear nature of heavy distortion to generate a "recorded" sound on the output, so you're still left with the alternative of hiding your amp off stage somewhere and miking it, then maybe some further equalization.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

markr04

Quote from: TransmogrifoxGet a Line6 :twisted:

I think your best bet would be to do what Matchbox 20 does:

They had some insulated boxes made  that contain their cabinets.  Mics are place in these sound proof damped cabs and then they get that signal feed through their monitors.  Reduces stage noise.

Randall and a few others mass-manufacture such cabinets. Here are Randall's:

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/products/cabinets/isolation/index.asp
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

nelson

Quote from: H4TI believe you are talking about a compressor. Sorry if I'm not explaining it perfectly, but its my understanding that compressors level out the dynamics of the guitar signal, resulting in a smoother tone, as well as longer sustain.

This is similar to what recording can do; it can cut out some of the dynamics in the signal, resulting in the same sorts of stuff happening.

*crosses fingers* I hope I got this one right, lol. If so, check out the Orange Squeezer, I hear its great; search for the Orange Squeezer +++, I'm working on it atm, waiting for parts and such. Good luck!

bit OT, good luck with that :) let me know how it works out, I will help you as much as I can. :wink:
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

marduk

This could be handful to build, but the cabinet at the bottom fo this page may be what you're looking for.

thanks for the responses! i have been eyeing the orange squeezer for awhile now... and hell, i need something to build tonight!

The cabinet system seems like a bit too much... but i guess that would be the logical way to get a mic'ed sound  :)

Alex C

I seem to remember someone making their own isolation cabinet a while ago.  Was that you, Mark?

bwanasonic

Try a compressor and EQ in the loop of your amp. The sound you are describing is from the compression and EQ in the recording process.  Keep in mind that there is a trade-off between a polished *recorded* sound, and a sound that really cuts through in a band situation at stage volumes. I'm not sure how well a comp and EQ works with a parallel loop, as I only have experience with serial loops. I use a rack unit in the loops of my amps to provide a taste of compression, EQ, and reverb, as I also like a *polished* sound. I don't think a standard stompbox comp is what you want. Something more geared toward a *studio* compressed sound.

Kerry M

nelson

Quote from: bwanasonicTry a compressor and EQ in the loop of your amp. The sound you are describing is from the compression and EQ in the recording process.  Keep in mind that there is a trade-off between a polished *recorded* sound, and a sound that really cuts through in a band situation at stage volumes. I'm not sure how well a comp and EQ works with a parallel loop, as I only have experience with serial loops. I use a rack unit in the loops of my amps to provide a taste of compression, EQ, and reverb, as I also like a *polished* sound. I don't think a standard stompbox comp is what you want. Something more geared toward a *studio* compressed sound.

Kerry M

IE a multiband compressor/limiter.......I would put it after the mic in a live setting, ofcourse having a "recorded" sound(I mean by recorded the "perfect  tone you subjectively want")  live depends on the level of talent your live sound engineer has.  :wink:
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

runmikeyrun

what about a speaker simulator?
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

niftydog

Quotedepends on the level of talent your live sound engineer has.

...and the amount of money you wish to spend on equipment!  :shock:
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

nelson

AND the amount of money the place your playing at wants to spend on in house equipment.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Quote from: bwanasonicTry a compressor and EQ in the loop of your amp. The sound you are describing is from the compression and EQ in the recording process.  Keep in mind that there is a trade-off between a polished *recorded* sound, and a sound that really cuts through in a band situation at stage volumes. I'm not sure how well a comp and EQ works with a parallel loop, as I only have experience with serial loops. I use a rack unit in the loops of my amps to provide a taste of compression, EQ, and reverb, as I also like a *polished* sound. I don't think a standard stompbox comp is what you want. Something more geared toward a *studio* compressed sound.

Kerry M

ah! i'll have to try that! i just happen to have a studio compressor that i wasn't really using! thanks!