SOT - Monster cable hype- what's for real?

Started by Phorhas, July 12, 2005, 04:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phorhas

Multiple gauge high and low frequency wire networks for accurate, natural sound reproduction.

MicroFiber® dielectric-wrapped wire networks for the fastest transients, maximum clarity, definition and presence.

MultiTwistâ,,¢ impedance-balanced construction for maximum signal transfer and noise rejection.

Double shielded with 97% coverage copper braid and carbon-infused dielectric for superior noise rejection.

24k gold-plated contact, heavy-duty, high-current connectors are durable and corrosion resistant.

Ergonomically contoured, heavy-duty body shell is easier to grab and offers hassle-free insertion and removal every time.

Heavy-duty black nylon mesh jacket provides maximum durability and visual appeal.

This is a copy from the monster cable page - the feature list of their Pro1000 cable.

I think it sound s really suspecious (Multiple gauge high and low frequency wire networks for accurate, natural sound reproduction - come on?!
or this - MicroFiber® dielectric-wrapped wire networks for the fastest transients, maximum clarity, definition and presence - isn't every insolating material a dialectric?)

so basically, what's markting crap and what's not? I've never played an MC and I do not intend too, I'm really satisfied with my $1.5 per meter Klotz cable (and even my $1 per meter generic type with similar attribiutes) and neutrik pro plugs.

any thoughts?
Electron Pusher

aaronkessman

well, i dont have any monster cables, but i'll say this:

the sound good to me, the feel strong, and if they ever break all you have to do is go to any dealer and they'll replace it free.

that's worth it for a lot of people.

Somicide

free replacement = good
$15 patch cord = bad

PnL,

Jeff
Peace 'n Love

aron

I used to use it long ago but the ones I had were literally monstrous. Heavy, big jacks, cracked my guitar finish. They did sound different.

petemoore

You Forgot "Lifetime Guarantee" !!
 And the music store recognizes it too..covers...everything.
 I bought a batch...2x 12', 2x 3', a 6', and 3x 6'' patches.
 These cables work great. Expensive yes, but I wouldn't try it at home.
 Whether a home built cable can compare is another question.
 Reliability...it'd have to be PD Reliable.
 Signal loading...I don't know except to say when I replaced the music store special, a 10' with the Monster 12' there was a pretty big difference in high end and volume, alot less noise when the cable is flopped around on the floor aslo.
 Whether part of the product marketing is hype...I can't answer, I haven't done clinical tests, I do know these are really great cables.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

stumper1

Unfortunately not "any dealer" will replace them.  Some will IF you bought it from them in the first place.  Most stores (especially GC) won't replace it - you have to send it to Monster for a replacement.[/quote]
Deric®

Nasse

Don´t know if these use solderless contacts. I have one cable dont remember the brand with non solder contacts and it has worked well for more than ten years for light home use, but the pros used to say in the old days that sooner or later you get problems with non solder contacts...

Never wanted to spend ridiculous amount of money for a cable because some diy cable with Neutriks and some cord from local music shop had done the job for me... solid as a rock.

But I have been thinkin there might be some trouble with few of my cables, some weird background noise with a cheapo digital effects... or it is just those cheapo digitals.. I should make some new cables some day...
  • SUPPORTER

Johnny G

i stick solidlly by my planet wave cables. simpley because they're built damn well and seem to me to be able to handle anything. they're a bit more expensive than regular cables but it seems worth it to me
LET US INSTIGATE THE REVOLT,DOWN WITH THE SYSTEM!

cd

Tone-wise, here's a good cable comparison article:

http://lavacable.com/myweb/CableSummit4.pdf

I junked the Monster Rock cable I had been using after I replaced it twice (both times under warranty) in the span of 18 months.  I couldn't care less about a lifetime warranty if I have to go through that kind of hassle with any kind of regularity!  OTOH I have a bunch of BRTB cables, which also have a lifetime warranty, but they have not failed at all in 5+ years of use.  The BRTBs are nothing special either, just high quality cable + high quality connectors (Neutrik or G&H, I can't remember which).

formerMember1

i have a monster cable .  21 footer cost 50 bucks  at Gitar Center
very noticeable difference in sound vs cheap cables.
high end is way better and actually the bass is improved ALOT.
also the cord is thick so i doesn't coil up as much(a good thing) and when it does it stays away from you since the cord is so heavy duty.  i also like that it is easier to unplug cord.

i also noticed a difference when playing van halen or vai songs since the notes are more clearer and seperated.(kinda like adding more presence and midrange to your sound).

sometimes you don't want that trebley sound so i always have a junk cable lying around in case.

PS:my monster has outlasted my cheap 20$ for a 20 foot cables by far.
i used to replace at least 4 or 5 cheapies every year. i have my monster which is the most used and it lasted over 2 years with no problems.

one other thing. my favorite cable is actually the thin george l's.
they are awesome but they are so thin that they make too much noise for stage work. when recording i use a mixture of monsters and george l's

i never used planet waves but they are probably great too!!

petemoore

An "Audio Afficianado' guy said, the difference between a Really Expensive [higher end] piece of audio equipment is less than the difference between really great cables.
 I'm sure it's more like rocket science than I can explain other than to draw from experiences.
 Bad Cables...any problem, fix or dump it.
 Good cables
 Better cables [opinion based from exp.] are real.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Satch12879

You can roll your own for significantly less than the retail price of Monster and at better quality.

And that Lavaman Cable Shootout is dubious at best (for various, mostly scientific and methodological reasons), as I believe I've pointed out on here in previous posts.
Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com

formerMember1

not meaning to high jack but:

Quotehttp://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=25039&highlight=funny+mojo

new addition?

man i totally disagree with some of the stuff on that thread about what is MOJO.
switchcraft jacks are way easier to solder and hold up way longer than cheapies.
and great cables are way more stronger than cheapies (in most cases)  and also preserve more frequencies than cheapies.(not homemade)

also ceramic caps do sound totally different than film caps. i socketed a input cap once and kept swapping them out, letting 3 people(non musicans)  decide if they noticed anything different. they always liked the film caps better than the "ugly" ceramic caps.(yeah they really did call them UGLY) :lol:

sorry for the highjack :!:

octafish

Quote from: formerMember1
also ceramic caps do sound totally different than film caps. i socketed a input cap once and kept swapping them out, letting 3 people(non musicans)  decide if they noticed anything different. they always liked the film caps better than the "ugly" ceramic caps.(yeah they really did call them UGLY) :lol:
Don't you know that if you don't use ceramic caps in a triangle BMP the mojo leaks all over the floor and gets into the carpet. :lol:  I wouldn't use ceramics in a compressor, or something that is supposed to be transparent, but in fuzz?  :roll:  Try building an all ceramic and 5% resistor FY-2 and a film cap and 1% version, you won't hear a difference, seriously.
Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

STOMPmole

The Monster is decent cable...particularly if you don't want to make your own.

I like both George L's (without the solderless plugs) and Mogami for my DIY cables.

I found the cable comparison article (posted by CD) to be interesting...Mogami (one of my favorite cables) got a terrible rating but showed extremely flat frequency response compared to some of the WAY more expensive cable offerings.  ??

NeveSSL

Personally, I use Monster and Mogami.  I used to buy Monster, because I really could hear a difference... particularly, as has been mentioned, in the highs and the over all presence.  

More recently, I found Mogami's guitar cable (2524) to have a bit sweeter mid-range than my monsters, while retaining the highs and all other attributes.  Plus, mogami is WAY cheaper if you buy in bulk and make your own ($0.37 per foot ).  I absolutely hate the Neturik Pro connectors... they're all huge and bulky.  What I use is Neutrik's NYS201.  These jacks are extremely durable and high quality, but only cost $0.88 each, or you can get them with gold contacts (the nys224G) for $1.11.  

So you can build a very high quality 20ft. cable for about $10 after heat-shrinking and solder and EVERYTHING included.  That's what I do, anyway.  I've also tried Canare cable, but I just don't like it as much as the Mogami.  Doesn't seem as transparent (but still very good, none-the-less and is available in a myriad of colors).  

I am of the opinion that EVERYthing matters and makes a difference in the sound, including direction.  BUT, I don't make a big deal of it.  ;)  Oh yeah, and my cables come with a life-time replacement gurantee... me, my soldering iron, and my heat-shrink!   :lol:

Sorry so long... just thought I'd throw in what works perfectly for me (and works cheaply at that!)

Brandon

EDIT:  All of the prices I quoted are from Redco.com... where I buy all of my cabling supplies (including Mogami 5-conductor MIDI cable [2948] for phantom power at only $0.44/ft! ).  I have yet to see anyone beat their prices.  :)

lovekraft0

The only verifiable fact about Monster is their policy of corporate bullying.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=28547&highlight=monster+lawsuit%2A

The rest is subject to review after a proper double-blind ABX listening test.  :roll:

bwanasonic

I guess the bottom line for me would be, do the claims of improved audio quality stand up in double-blind tests? For some strange reason these claims never seem to hold their mud under the scrutiny of scientific testing. OTH - they do look pretty cool :wink:  (and seem to be made well). I consider stuff like this more *High Fashion* than *High Tech*. Obviously a cable with a high capacitance per foot is going to sound different than a low capacitance cable, but beyond that, it has yet to be demonstrated in double-blind tests that human ears can distinguish between various *high end* cables. Of course the response of the Audiophool is to question the validity of double-blind testing! Oy!

Kerry M

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

For a guitar, use something like Whirlwind.
For a speaker system, use mains wire.
Or if you want speaker wire that runs under a carpet, use ribbon cable & connect odd and evens at each end, this gives a very low inductance & capacitance, compared to anything else (including MONSTER A$$HOLE cables).