Any good examples of LED clipping?

Started by fjdenigris, July 13, 2005, 09:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fjdenigris

Hello. Newbie here!  :shock:

Can anyone list some OD/Dist pedals that use LEDs in their clipping stage? What's the deal with led clipping anyway, I can't find anything on the web or here that talks about it. Forgot to mention that I only know of the Keely modded DS1, I have yet to try one.

Thanks!
Frank

dosmun

The Landgraff DO (modded TS) uses LED clipping.  I built one and the LED clipping is my favorite setting on the pedal.

Turbo Rat is another.

fjdenigris

Thanks dosmun!

I read over in Simple, Easy Mods/Tips & Techniques that "LEDs will clip even later and give you more range of clean to distortion."

This has made me wonder, how can I use this info.....  :D

littlegreiger

The Fender Frontman 15 amp has LED clipping. I know it's not a pedal but your local shop might have one you can try out. That way you'll know what it (LED clipping) sounds like.

petemoore

Depending...
 Really the way to test if LED"s are what you want is to try them in some different circuits compared to Si's or GE's. I sometimes use a little board space and install a clipping socket, 6 or 8 pin IC socket. one row of four pins per side of BTB clipping diodes.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

aron

Rockman.

Boston.... Tom Scholtz loved LEDs.

Peter Snowberg

Marshall Valvestate amps do but that's not a pedal (or a floor wax).

Click on the AMZ and GEOFEX links above and read away about distorion. Everything you want to know can be found there. In short, LEDs have a higher forward voltage.

Marshall tube amps use a bridge rectifier configuration to save the cost of one diode in manufacturing and still end up with three PN junctions between the signal line and ground either way the power is flowing. Three regular silicon diodes in series give a similar forward voltage drop to a red LED.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

rodriki1

fjdenigris

MartyMart

One of the marshall "Black box" pedals does, either "Guv'nor" or the
"Drive Master"
I like LED's as clipping diodes !!  :twisted:

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

fjdenigris

Thanks MartyMart! I'm gonna try them out in a project, I was looking for some audio examples- this was the right place to ask!!

fjdenigris

What type of leds would y'all suggest to try?

Also, I have checked a bunch of schematics. Can anyone point me to one that uses leds.

THANKS AGAIN!
Frank

Moejax

In my opinion LED clipping when its not fed onto another clipping stage that isnt led, like Ge or Si sounds horrible.  Buzzy, its crunchy but its justnot focused enough...well thats to my Pantera and Megadeth tuned ears, but really it sounds cheap.  Almost all small marshalls and marshall "Park" amps use LED clipping, and you can tell by how cheap it sounds.