opamp weirdness

Started by markr04, July 14, 2005, 01:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puretube

i still believe in the "floating mid-point" theory...
(maybe a lower resistor between +/gnd, and -/gnd? 22k? and a little cap from + to -  10µ...)?

puretube

do you guys have a physical (offboard) connection between "IN GND"/"OUT GND", and the "GND" next to "12VAC" ("power section", looking at Paul`s layout page)... ?

Paul Marossy

Quote from: puretubedo you guys have a physical (offboard) connection between "IN GND"/"OUT GND", and the "GND" next to "12VAC" ("power section", looking at Paul`s layout page)... ?

I do. I never thought to ask that question, I guess it was too obvious in my eyes... 8)

markr04

I made a direct connection between the two. Now my sound is consistent, but brittle sounding. I'm going to try a resistor in series to emulate what my DMM was actually doing.

Paul: Never underestimate the ignorance of others ;)
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

markr04

I meant me... don't underestimate my ignorance.

Okey-doke... I'm still playing with values but:

Connecting the input ground to the AC "ground" solved the problem. I have an old Park amp with an 8" speaker as my bench amp and I just now hooked the circuit up to my stack. The tone is like an icepick with a direct connection, where the tone with my DMM trick was much warmer. 10K in series between the grounds is better. I'm going to try some much higher values next... I suspect my DMM had a heckuva lot of resistance.

I'll post my findings soon.

Paul Marossy

Well, that sounds hopeful.  :)

I added a PCB layout based on a TL072 to my Shaka Tube page to give people a choice between which one they want to use. I still need to confirm that my single opamp layout works OK, though...

markr04

Don't worry about that, Paul. I'm going to de-mod mine and go back to the TL071 right now. You'll hear back from me soon.

markr04

Well, that took all of three minutes. The original layout with the TL071 works, Paul. Connecting the gounds was the trick... with some added resistance there in my case.

Paul Marossy

Thanks for clearing that up markr04.  8)

puretube

Paul: I never doubted your PCB layout, nor that you would have missed out that GND interconnection...
but from the symptoms and measurings of others, it only could have been that circuit-ground not being referred to the PS...

missing out what`s obvious to the one, can turn out to become a not so obvious problem to the others...

Paul Marossy

No worries puretube. I was assuming that since I didn't actually build mine using a single opamp that there was a problem with the layout. Half a dozen people that have used my layout have had this same gating problem, so I was beginning to think that it must have been a mistake on my part.  :wink:

Paul Marossy

QuotePaul: I never doubted your PCB layout, nor that you would have missed out that GND interconnection...
but from the symptoms and measurings of others, it only could have been that circuit-ground not being referred to the PS...

missing out what`s obvious to the one, can turn out to become a not so obvious problem to the others...

No worries puretube. I was assuming that since I didn't actually build mine using a single opamp that there was a problem with the layout. Half a dozen people that have used my layout have had this same gating problem, so I was beginning to think that it must have been a mistake on my part.  :wink:

I'm going to be out of town for three days, but I will try to get to a computer somewhere to keep up on this.  8)