"SHAKA TUBE" - almost working ??

Started by MartyMart, July 14, 2005, 07:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

transient

Quote from: wui223Can somebody tell me why the distortion will loss after some seconds( low sustain) ?

So, are you saying that it works *normally* for a few seconds 'till it suddenly becomes quiet and "clean"?

e

wui223

Yeah, as i strum chord it produce sound then the sustain will went off after about 3 seconds, it is a suddenly drop, just like 'pop' the sound gone.
Can i use another transformer which is 12-0-12 center taped and rated 6VA which i believe is 500mA ?

I use audio probe last time but cant solve my problem, maybe i should try
i am thinking of integrate a signal generator and amplifier to audio probe, so that i dont have to plug to guitar amp. What do u think?

Paul Marossy

It sounds like you're describing a mis-biased opamp...

aron

Yes, sounds like something is misbiased.

wui223

Misbiased? How to solve it? My electronic knowledge is far behind urs, i need to work hard.

aron

wui223

Here there are:
V+: 12V
V- : -10V
BIAS: -5V

OPAMP
4: -10V
8: -12V
OTHER PINS ARE AROUND ZERO

12AX7
1: -2.8V
2: -9V
3: -8V
4: 12VAC
5: 0
6: -10V
7: -8V
8: -8V

Something must be wrong coz all tube pin measure negative voltage

wui223

Finally got it sound after a recheck, one spot is miswiring :oops:
But the hiss is extremely loud why? and i couldnt turn the gain pot past half rotation, else the hiss is more and more and the volume will drop significantly. Anyone know solution?

Paul Marossy

Quote from: wui223Finally got it sound after a recheck, one spot is miswiring :oops:
But the hiss is extremely loud why? and i couldnt turn the gain pot past half rotation, else the hiss is more and more and the volume will drop significantly. Anyone know solution?

Look for questionable solder joints and connections to ground. Also, verify that the pins of the preamp tube are making good contact with the socket.

wui223

Paul could u take a look at ur PCB layout? I was confused bout the connection of gain pot, in schematic centre lug is connected to pin1 (output) while in PCB centre lug is connected to pin2. Which one is correct?

Paul Marossy

It doesn't matter, it's wired as a variable resistor. If your gain pot works backwards from what you expect, just switch the outside lug connections.

wui223

Yeah i got it. Why in my built, the pin 1,2,3 of TL072/RC4558 didnt show any voltage? Do u think it is normal? I use strip board for this project. I am sure i have all the ground tied up. But the hiss/hum is extremely loud when i turn the gain pot up. the only usable range is just 1/4 of the full rotation. Do u think i can swap the transformer with a 500mA 12V output transformer?

puretube

MartyMart

Sorry Ton, as John Cleese said in a fish called wanda  " I apologise unreservedly"  !!
Yup,  I DID reverse the tube pinout ....  :icon_redface:
Now I'm going to go away and "hide" for a week  !!

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com