IKIL Looks Rough...but

Started by petemoore, July 14, 2005, 08:41:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corbs

petemoore

I'm putting them up again...lol.
 Any comment on the twist treadle design?,,,ok, I'll go first !!
 I took about an hour to make the pot turner, and it allows me to adjust perfectly the balance/volume with my foot, and could be used to do this quite easily with Any Sized pot.
 It will not over-extend the potshaft travel range.
 It can [fairly] easliy be adjusted for ratio, I have it at just over 1/4 turn ranges the pot completely.
 It takes up less room than an accelerator pedal type.
 Taking my foot off of it, I haven't had my toe or heel upset the volume setting.
 Now to the wah part...
 I have this pedal adjusted so that it doesn't rest at toe down or heel down, but will stay anywhere in the %^&*ed positions I like. I put a second toe-pull spring that counteracts to the degree I want the main spring that pulls the toe down, and tensions the string-through potshaft drive. This wah works quite well, though next up is try all the mods from search / 'wah mods'.
 The Green BMP in there is doing Alot better for me, I added Ge diodes to the 2 clipping sections, and took out the second clipping stages 470Pf cap across the 470k, this opened up the highs a touch or two, it is sounding quite good now.
 The last thing to go in is a LPB with 5088, and metal film caps, on the 'red' or 'right channel', the only one with the loop jacks.
 The main 'different' thing is the twist treadle potshaft turner...I don't remember seeing any of these before, I got the idea from a commercial pedal [fender/Foxx?...I forget] that had a wah going up and down on a pedal and volume on the twist...pretty cool, maybe I'll hack up a clone of that design...rather complex though.
 I know it looks rough and seems like I'm begging for comments...yupp, That little twist treadle is cool though, and I'ts a wonder there aren't more pedals using that design, because it is quite the functional thing...small, easy, cheap, fits in a smaller enclosure than a accelerator type. The 'hard thing' to get is the super durable rubber band, the band is thick and quite square, It came out of a VCR.
 I put in some better Opamps for the Splitter Blend, this seems to have made an improvement difference, NE5532's replaced a salvaged 1458 and TL082.
 The thing is working and sounding great, I know the 'facade' is less than awe inspiring...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

I sort of surprized there isn't a commercial unit that 'twist treadles'...a bit more 'neatly', as it could be Mfg.d pretty cheaply and sold as non-enclosure specific [will fit and work in most enclosures].
 I think it could be made to add just a square inch and a half or so larger than the pot that would be there.
 Next T.TReadle, I'm putting on a phaser as speed control.

octafish

Uhh yeah, that looks gigable. I think you need too add a jacobs ladder to it to complete the mad scientist look.
Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

petemoore

think you need too add a jacobs ladder to it to complete the mad scientist look...
 I'll try anything once....what would Jacobs Ladder 'look' like ? :?  :lol:

casey

Quote from: petemooreI'm putting them up again...lol.
 Any comment on the twist treadle design?,,,ok, I'll go first !!
 I took about an hour to make the pot turner, and it allows me to adjust perfectly the balance/volume with my foot, and could be used to do this quite easily with Any Sized pot.
 It will not over-extend the potshaft travel range.
 It can [fairly] easliy be adjusted for ratio, I have it at just over 1/4 turn ranges the pot completely.
 It takes up less room than an accelerator pedal type.
 Taking my foot off of it, I haven't had my toe or heel upset the volume setting.
 Now to the wah part...
 I have this pedal adjusted so that it doesn't rest at toe down or heel down, but will stay anywhere in the %^&*ed positions I like. I put a second toe-pull spring that counteracts to the degree I want the main spring that pulls the toe down, and tensions the string-through potshaft drive. This wah works quite well, though next up is try all the mods from search / 'wah mods'.
 The Green BMP in there is doing Alot better for me, I added Ge diodes to the 2 clipping sections, and took out the second clipping stages 470Pf cap across the 470k, this opened up the highs a touch or two, it is sounding quite good now.
 The last thing to go in is a LPB with 5088, and metal film caps, on the 'red' or 'right channel', the only one with the loop jacks.
 The main 'different' thing is the twist treadle potshaft turner...I don't remember seeing any of these before, I got the idea from a commercial pedal [fender/Foxx?...I forget] that had a wah going up and down on a pedal and volume on the twist...pretty cool, maybe I'll hack up a clone of that design...rather complex though.
 I know it looks rough and seems like I'm begging for comments...yupp, That little twist treadle is cool though, and I'ts a wonder there aren't more pedals using that design, because it is quite the functional thing...small, easy, cheap, fits in a smaller enclosure than a accelerator type. The 'hard thing' to get is the super durable rubber band, the band is thick and quite square, It came out of a VCR.
 I put in some better Opamps for the Splitter Blend, this seems to have made an improvement difference, NE5532's replaced a salvaged 1458 and TL082.
 The thing is working and sounding great, I know the 'facade' is less than awe inspiring...

your treadle system reminds me so much of a gerlitz amp.  go check it out....it's super cool.
Casey Campbell

puretube

petemoore

;One More Mod"...lol
 a simple coffee maker I/O switch bridges the tips of the send/return jacks, GOTTA have that...too useful/easy, saves one patch cable for using that side.
 This way I can have nothing, bypass the booster for clean or use the LPB on that side !!!
 In the other position I can run an effects loop using the jacks on the 'green' channel.
 "Morphing tones has never been more fun or expressive...I'm liking Boost mixed with wah, very pronounced...tremolo driving Fuzz in a 'new' one...etc. the thing has such versatility it defies explanation except to say the flexability is way fun and some new' tones can be found.
 BTW I installed 2 trimpots for the wah, 1 is a 47k trimpot instead of teh 33K, the other is a 1k instead of teh 510ohm, and the 68k input resistor is now 51k....I used a parallel pot to adjust for about unity, then replaced that value with a close value fixed R. The wah has to sound better, for one thing the 510k makes/takes out the midrange whoomph when it's adjusted up and down [now a 1k trimpot], and the 33k vocal mod as 47k trimpot is working on this one with the stock inductor...Nice Wah Sound...the buffers in/out certainly can't hurt, I can't A/B with/without the Splitter Blends buffers, but I think they're helping the wah out.

octafish

What does a jacobs ladder look like?

Not the best pic. Think of those effects from old frankenstien movies where a surge of electricity runs up two poles.
Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

petemoore

Octa, that'd be the perfect "Frankenstein-er' Compliment to the unit !!
 I think it'd play hell for noise though ... lol  :D

Peter Snowberg

I love it! 8) 8)

You could always use the Jacob's Ladder before the set and during intermission for a longer night.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

petemoore

:D  [wolf in sheeps clothing]...
 Seems to like a little more voltage than 9v, really sparks it up when I put 15v to it !!

squidsquad

Lemme get this right:  So the guitar signal modulates the high voltage/low current of the ladder and the spark crackles out notes.  And then you can play Jimi Hendrix's FIRE with fire eh?  Pretty cool!   :wink: