Remove etch-resist?

Started by moeburn, July 14, 2005, 07:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moeburn

Hey guys, I was wondering, I have a pcb that I drilled before removing the etch resist (printer toner).  I tried using steel wool to get rid of it, but it got caught in the holes.  Nail polish remover and paint thinner don't do a thing to it.  What should i use to remove it?

MartyB

If its toner resist from a photocopier, nail polish remover should be working.  I'v noticed that bargain nail polish remover really sucks.  My wife's Cutex works great (just don't get caught).  Even better would be acteone, if you can find some.

HTH
MartyB

MartyB

Moeburn it just occurred to me that perhaps there's something on the photopaper that transfers with the toner.  What do you think?

D Wagner

Moeburn,

I prefer to use 400-600 grit wet/dry sandpaper under running water.  It gets the board clean, shiny and ready for solder better than anything else that I have tried.

Derek

toneman

not paint thinner.....
try lacquer thinne,r in a well ventilated area.
I think, acetone will work also.
I use laquer thinner to remove the toner.
Then, just B4 soldering, i use 320wet/dry sandpaper to clean the oxidation.
I just do it dry, wipe off the residue with a paper towel,  then start soldering...
hope this helps...
stayetched
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

moeburn

Quote from: D WagnerMoeburn,

I prefer to use 400-600 grit wet/dry sandpaper under running water.  It gets the board clean, shiny and ready for solder better than anything else that I have tried.

Derek

That worked great, i found some old 800grit in the shed.

Marty, yeah you're right, the photopaper must be transferring the toner AND the glossy photo part, since the acetone wont remove anything but the edges.

Connoisseur of Distortion

acetone has always provided results for me... i have a big vat of it  :D