Tonepad Small Clone build report, Problems sorted.

Started by nelson, July 15, 2005, 06:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson

Ok. I built this with the blinking LED mod, 10K depth pot mod, I plan to do the stereo outs, the vibrato mod and the delay pot mod(instead of the switch).

First off it sounds "warm". However no matter where I turn the trimpot  the chorus is very subtle. I eventually turn it to the point where if I hit the strings hard I get blatty distortion, even just before that point its subtle. I was expecting some "wateryness" which there doesnt seem to be any of at all.
The depth pot doesnt seem to do much at all....I attached lug 1 to pin1 of LM358, lug 2 to the pad just before the 10mF electro and the third lug to ground as per the schematic, perhaps just because the chorus is so faint I cant hear its effect. The LED blinks and changes with rate. The voltages on the pins of all the IC's are what I would expect.  It isnt noisy at all. I havent substituted any parts. I used LM358P not LM358N not sure if this would make a difference?? I am going to check the components and make sure I havent misread a resistor color code somewhere. Is it supposed to be this subtle? I do hear some of the warmth its famous for.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

nelson

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

jimbob

I cant wait. Im waiting on my board to arrive. Keep us informed on your progress. Im sure others are out there that might get some use from your success and mistakes..

good luck!
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

nelson

:oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Ok, I had the CD4047 in the wrong way......knew it was something stupid.... :roll:  The "lushness" I was hearing was actually my amps tremelo set with the depth very low and the rate pretty high  :roll:  which I forgot to switch off...I really should add an LED to that footswitch.....

Now onto the proper build report now that I have had a bit of time to mess about with it.

The depth pot works really well, I used a log taper 10K pot. I used a 1M linear pot for the rate....because they were cheap...responds well also.
The blinking LED right now has no resistor its bright and is really neat.
The vibrato switch works like it should and the vibrato is GREAT, out of space vibrato madness. The chorus is rich and "watery" (YAY!).  This is a great addition to my line up and I can see it getting alot of use. This pedal  added absolutely no noise in my set up, there were earlier comments about it being noisy, this isnt the case with mine.

Cant wait to add the other mods and get it into more crazy territory.

Build IT!

Thanks to FP
Thanks to charlie for his mod suggestions.

I am one very happy pedal monkey.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

jimbob

I cant wait. Im waiting on my board to arrive. Keep us informed on your progress. Im sure others are out there that might get some use from your success and mistakes..

good luck!
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"