SAD1024 and el mistress experiments

Started by Storing!, July 17, 2005, 10:47:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Storing!

Hi

I breadboarded the 9 v version of the EM. I noticed that the flipflop is only used hal. The SAD1024 is used in parallel. I expirimented a bit after retrieving the SAD1024 datasheet.
http://www.synthdiy.com/show/showproduct.asp?show=881
It has 2 512 delay lines that are used in parallel in de mistress. When using only one of the lines, it still worked. The amount of clocknoise wasn't extremely more. This opened up teh possibillity to expand teh basic model to an model that has 2 flangers on board (even a ttru stereo in out comes to mind). Running 2 delay lines with seperate clocks worked great!. Doing stuff like crossfeedback is a possibility

Another possibility is serial use of the delay lines and use a center tap to create a stereo image.

The questions I have until now.
1) Did anybody ever try this and what were the results?
2) The datasheet metioned running vbb -1v to vdd woruld improve perfromance. (the mistress doesn't do that), Anybody tried that?
3) The LFO and clock generator seem very complex. Are simpler design available?
4) Would the use of ne570 improve the performance Have 2 obolete lying around.

This is turning out to be a nice expiriment ;)

Eric
Eric

StephenGiles

My experience of using 571 noise reduction in flangers, with the possible exception of the Craig Anderton AMS100 Flanger, is that it removes too much grunge of the full flanging sound. This is why the Standard Electric Mistress is such a great Flanger - hardly any filtering!!!

The LFO and Clock Generator are probably necessarily complex. What you really have here is a deluxe EM running on 9v. As to your other questions I don't know.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

DiyFreaque

Hey Steve,

If you grunge in before the compressor, did that improve things grunge-wise, or did compansion still interfere?

Take care,
Scott